Part I, "The Power of No"

Its 4:00 in the morning, I just got home from Thailand after 30 hours of planes and waiting in the airport and all I can think about is the sights sounds and smells of Thailand, so I thought I might start my trip report while the memories are still vibrant in my mind. It seems like a great dream right now, but the bad thing about dreams is that you have to wake up eventually. My trip was a little different from the other reports I have read on here, but it might still be of use to someone, as were all of the wonderful trip reports I read before embarking on my own little Journey. So many things to write about so I will just start at the beginning.

My friend K (I will use abbreviations for all participants to protect the innocent) who is an expat in Japan, was a regular visitor to Thailand the last 10 years, and at least once a year called me to invite me down to the LOS. Being married with kids, and very ignorant of Asia, my response would always be along the lines of ?why go to a third world country? or a real gem in hindsight ?what can I do in Thailand that I cant do here?. He would try to explain, but my being married he really didn?t explain well enough. About 8 months ago my marriage ended, and on K?s annual call, not only did I have a change of status but also a change of attitude and said ?lets go for it?.

So as I do with all vacations I take I dove into research, K had given me a little more information, but on the Sanuk side, I still had visions of a brothel in a bad John Wayne movie. I found a few sites, then stumbled on to this one and started reading the trip reports here, in addition to stickman's fantatstic columns and reading Private Dancer. My visuals of Thailand started to change rapidly, and the time until the trip suddenly started to slow down. In one of his trip reports, Tbird so eloquently stated along the lines of ?at first I was worried about getting sick in Thailand, now I was worried about getting sick and not being able to go? exactly how I was starting to feel. In fact I called another friend S, and started to tell him about my impending trip, and the next thing I know, S is booked on my flight to BKK. S is married and very faithful, but also the type of guy who loves adventure and anything new. He informed me, that although he understood that I was going to take advantage of the whole Thailand scene, he was just along for the ride and the drinking. I answered with a ?yea sure S, but do you think the wife will buy it? type of reply. I bring this up now because as you will see in the latter trip reports sometimes life is suprising.

The plan of the trip was to arrive in BKK on Tuesday, spend the night with D (a college friend who?s an expat in Thailand), A ( A college friend that is a native of Thailand), S and K, exploring the BKK nightlife then fly to Phuket with S and K, for 5 nights followed by another night in BKK. After reading the trip reports I was wishing I had more time in BKK, well actually more time period.

The day of departure finally arrived, and I arrived at the airport 4 hours early, guess I was anxious for the trip to start. Got to the counter for Delta, and was informed my connecting flight on Delta through Salt Lake City to LA was delayed. They could not guarantee that I would be able to get LA until 11:00 at night, and with my 11:30 Cathay flight that was not good enough. So they switched me to American through Chicago, added about 2 hours to my time but would get me there in plenty of time. Went to the American counter signed in and was flagged for a luggage check, for what would be the first of 5 times. No big deal, I?m going to Thailand, what was that you guys always said, my pen roo or something like that. Got to Chicago, with an hour to spare on the connecting, sat down and enjoyed the visions of Thailand running through my head. I found out there was a delay on the connecting of 30 minutes, so I went and grabbed a coffee and watched a few minutes of a NCAA tournament game, came back, and WTF, an 1 ½ delay. Called S, cell phone and said I wouldn?t be there until 7:30 or so. Looked back up at the board 2 hour delay, getting slightly concerned, I went up to the counter and they assured me, that there shouldn?t be anymore delays. My pen poop, I thought, and also thought I might need to work on some of these Thai phrases. Another look at the board, showed 3 hour delay, that was the last one. So what the heck, I sat in the Chicago instead of the LA airport, all my flight woes should be over and I still had 2 hours to get checked in to Cathay. Flight was great, sat next to a wonderful lady, had a few drinks, exchanged emails life was great, until?.. no friggin luggage in LA. F^%^$% Mai pen roop, I want to get to Thailand. Long line at the lost luggage area, 11/2 hour before my flight leaves, and I?m panicking. Then a miracle happens, since my flight was delayed so long, the luggage was put on a different flight, but that one had shown up already, so its all good. Except? another security luggage check, I?m real glad at this point I decided not to take any toys on this trip. Running through international check point, I?m wondering what I did to make the trip gods mad at me, but with perseverance I make it with 10 minutes to spare, well actually it was more like 1 ½ hours, of course my Cathay flight was delayed.

The actual flight over was OK, 15 hours to Hong Kong then a 3 hour flight to BKK, its funny how accurate these trip reports describe what you will encounter. As someone else posted I had an idiot who felt the need to grab the back of my head rest to get up every time. I tried timing the seat release but just couldn?t quite catch him. Get in to Thailand at 11:00 in the morning, and get picked up by K and D?s driver. Quick shower then we decide to hit up the Grand Palace before our night on the town, nice place to spend a few hours if you have not been there before. Quick note, if you are from America, not only do you have to remember they drive on the opposite side of the road, as a pedestrian, you have to remember to look right then left for traffic when crossing a street, I almost abruptly ended my dream trip and caused a 20 car pile up in front of the grand palace. Finally got hooked up with everyone and headed down to the bars, to my disappointment, we were going to go to patpong instead of Soi cowboy or nana. Patpong lived up to its reputation on this board, in a big way.

First stop was the comfort bar (not absolutely sure of this name), and my first BG encounter with P. Actually this bar was fun, kind of casual and most of the BG?s were 6?s or 7?s. I spotted P, and realized immediately that eye contact is a wonderful thing, within 10 seconds I had my first company of the night. We all sat down, and the first thing that caught my eye was the strange look on S?s face, kind of that deer caught in a headlight look as he tried unsuccessfully to explain to his new friend he just wanted to drink. This fidelity thing was not going to be easy for S. Meanwhile P, the shy little flower that she was, had already started to try to work the kinks out of my nether regions. Thus started our favorite fraise of the trip, when the expats asked how I was doing, I reply ?Its all good?. But remembering my vow not to bar fine the first girl I was with I remained strong, well actually I lied and told P, that I would be back later for her. She made the little sisor motion with her hands and said she would find me if I didn?t. I know she was kidding, but, I?m really glad I skipped on P. S was now sweating as we left, pulled me aside and asked ?are they all going to be like this??, I was afraid to tell him I thought it would only get better. The next stop was at Pussy Galore, everything I envisioned about patpong was here at this bar. The BG?s ranged from 2?s to 5?s but with an intensity for their work of about a 10. The idiot newbee sign on my head attracted the four most aggressive to me and all of my limbs except for the left leg was in their possession. What was the thing I read about, oh yea lady drinks, before I realized what I agreed to, four lady drinks on the table, oh well mai pen rae, first night. The 6th Carlsberg of the night made the idiot sign on my head glow brighter and two more girls come to replace two that left for dancing, two more drinks. Then I?m thinking, where is S? Trying to locate him through the hair and boobs, I finally spot him, he looks like he is in the middle of well, the best I can describe it is in those looney tune cartoons and they start fighting and all you see is hands and the occasional face, that would be close. A, the Thai native, finally comes over and asks if I understand that I?m paying for those drinks, and I let out a meek ?help?, he explains to me the ?power of no? and trying to wipe off the idiot sign off my head I explain no more Lady drinks, I get my first Thai pout of the trip. We tally up the chit, of course even with the lady drinks the rookies bought, the total is way out of line. A, has a talk with someone and lo and behold, its 2000 baht less. Rookie advice two, learn the power of no real fast in Patpong.

We leave and on to the next bar, Queens Castle II. I knew I was in for a repeat of Pussy Galore from what I read about the Queens group. More of the same there, but now armed with the ?power of No?, less expensive. They did some of those shows that I had read about, and to be honest, the novelty wore off real fast, OK to see once, just not my cup of tea I guess. I was a little disappointed with the quality of girls, so I talked them into talking us to Soi 33 and the artists bars.

Now this is what I thought of, when thinking about beautiful BG?s, We stopped at a BBQ place, not sure of the name, but its on a little side street, about a half block in on Soi 33. Great place, the food was good, and the lady?s were all 7?s and up. S had stopped palpitating and was regaining normal color, and I had a beautiful lady, P2, on my lap. Having A around was a blessing, after the three questions, you kind of hit a roadblock until you learn a little pigeon Thai, or understand their pigeon English. After a few more beers, we moved on to the Richmond Bar, where I spotted N, and knew I had found my Virgin BF, She was a vision, actually all the BG?s there were wonderful in looks and personality. N spoke the best English of all the girls I had met so far, and had the smile/face/body, which I had been thinking about the last 3 months. One beer and I said those magical words, ?bar fine?. I did feel bad about leaving S, but he looked happy and content, so I drank a couple more with the guys, she changed and off we went. I?m not sure why, but I felt like drinking more with her and getting to know her before she took me to a short time hotel she knew about. And I was surprised when I asked she didn?t respond with the ?up to you? answer. She asked if I wanted to go into Monet, as she had a friend there. Monet I loved also, spent an hour there with her friend. Her friend or none of the other girls didn?t pester me for a Lady drink, ended up buying her one anyway. The BG?s here were also all lovely, with good English skills, actually liked it so much went back with N my last night in BKK when it got real crazy, but that?s a story for later. Decided to go to a disco, I?m sorry I don?t remember the name, although I?m sure it wasn?t the Thermae, very new place. As a side, I will get the name, because I remember someone asking for Russian BG?s and they were in here in spades at least 20. I speak a little Russian, so I talked with them for a bit while N was in the bathroom. N is 19 and has the energy of 19, so after 2 hours of dancing my 38 YO body and no sleep for 26 hours I was ready to go. N got a cab, (she was great about getting metered taxi?s) and off we went, I had no clue where we were going, but then again I really didn?t care at this point. That is until we turned down a street with very limited lighting. We got out and I assumed we were there until N said we had to walk a couple of blocks to get there. My thoughts were, why didn?t he just drop us off two blocks latter, why is there groups of Thai guys watching us on both side of the streets, and who exactly were you talking with on the phone on the way over here. Ok I was paranoid, and maybe it was my imagination but the two blocks were turning into three blocks and it was also getting darker. I started getting eyes in the back of my head and was wondering what a knife really felt like. Oh relief, I see a motel sign, nope we are not stopping, another half block and she turns into a parking garage. Shit, this isn?t a hotel, I?m thinking to myself, why are you still following her you big idiot when I saw the motel sign at the bottom of the garage ramp. This owner obviously never heard of that saying location location location. So my pants still dry, but just barely, we checked in. Exactly what I thought a short-term hotel would be like, complete with the little door within a door for handing in sheets, condoms, everything a guy needs. We do the bath together, and as promised in these boards, even though we were naked and playing in the tub, soon as she gets out, the towels back on. Off to bed for one of the best romps I had ever had, that is until N2 a few nights later in patong. Our flight was out at 9 the next morning so after a couple hours of sleep then a morning surprise, we went out to find a Taxi, she new I was worried about finding D?s house so even though I had already made a contribution she came with me to help locate his place. Both A and D are well off, but the funny thing about their places is that you have to go through 15 different zig zags to get there, so with N talking to D and A on the Cell and talking to the Taxi Driver we made it there after a few wrong turns, I kissed this wonderful lady good night and after one more hour of a very happy sleep we were off to Phuket.

A side note, the others had taken S to a massage place, they all got oil massages, S went with Bertha and had a Traditional Thai massage with A, so after one night S's fidelity was still in tact, for now.

5:40 now, still not tired but going to try and sleep before the real world beckons tomorrow at 8:00, will try to get part II ?The power of ?alooooo, where you go??? done for the board. Doing these trip reports really is good therapy for missing Thailand.

[Removed a reference to a name - KS]

Very good:

Hope you get the phuket adventure on asap.

too bad you did not disrupt that sob on his potty run with ur seat back.

Next time treat urself to business class, worth it in the long run.

Archived