Winter Olympic Games 2010

Mentors

Inside Lines: Canadians' churlishness adds to the hazards on ice wall of death

By Alan Hubbard

The death of the Georgian luge athlete Nodar Kumaritashvili on Friday is a sombre reminder that Winter Olympics are not just the deep-frozen frolic that many non-Alpine nations seem to think. It is also worrying that the Canadian hosts acted so inhospitably by limiting training access to the hazardous run, that will also be used for the bob skeleton events in which British hopes Shelley Rudman and Amy Williams begin their medal assault this week, during the build-up to the Games. According to the British team leader, Andy Hunt, the skeleton sliders have had only 10 per cent of the practice time the Canadians have enjoyed. As Britain and other nations have been complaining for some time about Canada's attitude, presumably designed to gain home advantage, should not the International Olympic Committee's watchdogs have intervened? If nothing else, this latest tragedy – the fifth fatality in the history of the Winter Olympics – should quell those sniggers about sliding on ice and jumping around on skis not being worthy of Olympic medals. The British Olympic Association chairman, Colin Moynihan, says Vancouver has to be a turning point for the appreciation of winter sports in this country. Let's hope it does not take the death of a young Georgian to prove him right.

Link

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FWIW:

Having only the local Thai cable TV, unfortunately, they don't televise the Winter Olympics. Maybe it's due to either the cost to televise the Olympics, or that there's likely zero Thai competitors... as few Thai's even know what snow is!

Anyway, I love viewing the Winter Olympics. Rather than paying to view the events on some site, I've found that via EZTV I can get a free RSS feed of all the events, selecting those I wish to view.

And, yes, I miss being able to ski, but Thailand has other things to keep one amused. ;-)

I haven't paid much attention to these Olympics, but one thing that caught my eye here in the US was a commercial for a major telecom, AT&T, featuring Lou Reed's song 'Perfect Day.' The song was used in the movie Trainspotting, and many consider it an ode to heroin addiction, so I'm amused an agency/ company would use it in association with sport. I wonder if they don't know or don't care.

I'm happy for Lou to get the royalties, though. :up:

Medal Ranking :deal:

Gold/Silver/Bronze = Total

01. USA 5 3 6 =14

02. Germany 3 4 3 =10

03. South Korea 3 2 0 =5

04. Switzerland 3 0 1 =4

05. Canada 2 3 1 =6

06. France 2 1 4 =7

07. China 2 1 1 =4

08. Sweden 2 0 0 =2

09. Norway 1 2 2 =5