New Influx of Asian Tourists ???

zanemay

I am hearing more and more about growing numbers of Asian tourists in Thailand. Can someone tell me about this?? What is behind this?

When I played golf yesterday, I was told that until about two weeks ago all the courses were booked every day with Koreans.

For the last several days I have seen more tour buses in Pattaya than I have ever seen before (and that says a lot!) I think most of these people are Chinese.

What is the status of this situation. Can Chinese and Koreans come in the same as Americans and Europeans, with only a passport?

The crowds are not a welcome trend, and the masses of tour type tourists, proceeding in lock step with dead faces from mall to mall is not appealing. The only good thing I can say is that while the shopping mall lot is completely full of buses, the nearby bars have none of these tourists.

Zane

Yes, Koreans are free to travel to Thailand without visa, same as Americans or Europeans.

Tourist from the PR of China can also travel to Thailand. China has put Thailand on the list of most favourable tourist destinations in Asia/Pacific. Chinese citizens can obtain their visa upon arrival in Thailand.

jp1

Yes, Koreans are free to travel to Thailand without visa, same as Americans or Europeans...

Not quite same-same. They get a 90 day visa on arrival! Check this out:

There are 3 nationalities of countries that have bilateral agreement with the Kingdom of Thailand to permit people of contract country who hold ordinary passports to enter and stay in the Kingdom for 90 days without entry visa;

1.BRAZIL

2.NEWZEALAND

3.SOUTH KOREA

Korean golf tourists are normally here in Jan& Feb, mostly they have pissed off by now as the weather improves in Korea. They are a pain in the arse, and unpopular with the courses but they pay their dues, so they keep them coming back.

Thaksin has made no secret of the fact that he wishes Thailand to align itself more closely to Asia, especially China, rather than Europe and the US, both from a tourism and economic point of view.

So how come you don't see Euro tourist being hearded around Asia (LOS) in large groups? Theres no shortage of this phenomena in the US where its not uncommon to see em by the bus loads in places like DC, NYC, and the national park areas.

Unfortunately Zane this appears to be the case, the pattern is as follows.

1/ Japanese generally lack imagination and cannot act off own initiative so it takes them a lot longer to hear about anything than us Europeans.

2/They hear about something, eg Thermie, Edens

3/Before you know it there is a huge influx, prices go up two, three fold,

4/ Management is delighted with his new clientele and increase in profits

5/Management happily go along with new clienteles requests that it becomes Japanes only

STH

Archived