Air traffic controller lets kid talk to pilots

USVirgin

This is funny, ermm...sort of. Check the audio link.

Air traffic controller lets kid talk to pilots

By: Rebecca Tobin March 03, 2010

The FAA placed an air traffic controller and a tower supervisor at New York Kennedy on administrative leave following an incident last month when a child was permitted to talk with pilots on an air traffic control frequency.

The FAA said Wednesday in a statement that it was investigating the incident. According to news reports and a recorded clip of the transmission at 1010WINS.com, the child, a young boy, appears to clear JetBlue Flight 171 for takeoff.

"This is what you get, guys, when the kids are out of school," an adult voice says on the tape.

According to a CBS News report, the boy was allowed to make at least five transmissions to commercial jets on Feb. 17.

FAA Administrator Randy Babbitt said that the "distractions" were "totally unacceptable."

"This lapse in judgment not only violated FAA’s own policies, but common-sense standards for professional conduct," he said.

In addition to placing the two employees on leave, the FAA said it was suspending all unofficial visits to air traffic control operational areas.

source

Yep, if there's one thing I miss on long-haul flights its being surrounded by chain-smoking drunks ....

A former work colleague told me that the 'Non-Smoking' and 'Smoking' sections on his JAL flight back in the nineties were separated by a curtain - I guess the FAs figured that if they were going to die from passive smoking, they may as well take everyone else with them.

Randy Babbitt? Is there another country in the world that could give a kid a name like that?

Back on topic I'm reminded of a plane crash in Russia a few years back where the pilot allegedly left his son in the cockpit while he went for a shit. The boy took it out of auto and tried a few manoeuvres.

I tend to agree there may some overreaction going on here, but in hindsight does seem like a stupid thing to do. All the pilots thought is was ok.

Had this one on Air Crash Investigation. No evidence the pilots ever left the cockpit. The kid shut off the aileron's autopilot by moving wheel too much and the plane banked so hard the g-force kept the pilots from getting back into the seats. They did eventually regain control, but too late to save the plane.

Aeroflot Flight 593

TH

Archived