Unlimited internet for use with TA lines

danish30

Singbond,

Both cable internet and adsl is available. I have cable internet installed in my rented house. (Actually I installed it because at the time I moved in it was impossible to get a phone line! be aware of that. TA and TOT told me, sorry sir, no lines available). My only option was cable and mobile phone. Now I got 3 phone lines after some influential Thai friend made a phone call for me.

The standard cable internet is 256kb down and 64 up. It is usually very stable, unless they are upgrading something, and the service is good.

Cost of installation is around 3500 if you have UBC already. But it is a bit expensive to use it, 1440 bath per month including 30 hours of use, and around 25 bath/hour for additional use. Yes you pay per hour, not unlimited. Although unlimited is available at around 13000 bath per month. About the same as you would pay if stay online all the time with 25 bath per hour. Use between midnight and 6 in the morning is free, since most people sleep or do other things at that time smile.gif

Best regards,

Danish30

Thanks Danish30,

These are invaluable info. 1440B is high. Additional hour charges seems reasonable.

Now two technical questions:

1. How do they charge by the hour - ie. how is that metric calculated? DO they have special cable modems?

2. Is Internet connection sharing allowed - ie. we fix a router onto the cable modem interface? Thus - could I setup a net cafe with that model?

Cheers - smile.gif

You are welcome Singbond,

To answer your additional questions:

1. I believe they are fair with charges, e.g. you connect for 5 mins and you are charged for 5 mins. This actually making it cheaper for quick connects just to check email or something, because unlike dialup you don't have the 3 bath connect charge.

2. The 1440 bath/month 25bath/hour says 1 computer only on the contract. But they use an excellent Askey cable modem (connects with Ethernet). If you want to share the cable, you just have to setup a proxy server or a NAT capable router. Although for an internet cafe I would probably go for the pro subscription (the 13000 bath+ one I mentioned earlier) to avoid any problems due to sharing.

If you are interested, I have the papers with details somewhere, I can scan them and email to you. Just PM me.

Best regards,

Danish30

Archived