RIP Peter Graves

shygye

Link

Peter Graves, the tall, stalwart actor likely best known for his portrayal of Jim Phelps, leader of a gang of special agents who battled evil conspirators in the long-running television series "Mission: Impossible," died Sunday.

Graves died of an apparent heart attack outside his Los Angeles home, publicist Sandy Brokaw said. He would have been 84 this week.

Graves had just returned from brunch with his wife and kids and collapsed before he made it into the house, Brokaw said. One of his daughters administered CPR but was unable to revive him. Graves' family doctor visited the house and believed he had a heart attack, Brokaw said.

Although Graves never achieved the stardom his older brother, James Arness, enjoyed as Marshall Matt Dillon on TV's "Gunsmoke," he had a number of memorable roles in both films and television.

5Pb5WV1RnXQ

It doesn't happen very often for a movie star but ABC, NBC and CBS, on their 30 minute nightly news broadcasts, did a segment on the career of Peter Graves. Biography, on cable, is hosted by Graves and usually runs a bio on a public figure within a day or two of their death. I wonder if they will run a bio tonight of Peter Graves, with Peter Graves as the host?

Can't wait to see it on the local news, but we're busy with a strip mall fire now and I'm afraid a low speed freeway chase might break out as well, not to mention a 1 degree change in temperature tomorrow.

@Shygye: of course I was referring to his death in the Airplane movie. I think he was a cool guy and I meant no disrespect.

Archived