Fraud and Dishonesty

sidsanuk

Hi,

Just curious if anyone has had any similar experiences or can offer advice. Very long story compressed.

My wife (Thai) collects reborn dolls. These are life size dolls of babies that people repaint, implant hair etc to make them look real. And they look very real. They are quite expensive US$500-1,500 and are generally sold over the Internet. Mostly made in Japan I think. My wife has about a dozen!

My wife found a cheaper supplier in Thailand. Could not pass up a bargain huh ! The Seller buys in bulk from Japan. Takes money up front, then orders dolls, then sends out to customers. First oder was fine. Then trouble.

Wife has now been waiting about 6 months for 2 dolls. Seller in Thailand keeps coming up with excuses about suppliers etc. Now has got to the point where seller is saying she cannot supply.

There has been excuse after excuse for months. Dolls wil arrive next month, next month comes, and another excuse is trotted out.

Lots of customers online very angry. May not get dolls or money back. Bull shit scheme proposed by seller to pay back money to customers over about 18 months! My wife is last on the list, becuase she complained so much :surprised:

Some customers have pre paid 200,000 Baht!

In typical Thai fashion, no one wants to upset the seller, in case she does not give them a refund. They have also heard the seller's father is a lawyer and that she has high powered connections. So it goes on.

A group of customers have now banded together (including my wife) to make a police complaint. For my wife it is no longer about the money. She just wants to get even with this scum bag and make sure no one else loses their money.

It seems (so they have been told) that if 10 or more customers band together they can make a complaint to the police. They are all heading into a Police Station in BKK tomorrow armed with their 'evidence' of bull shit emails and broken promises. A family member is representing us.

I have told my wife to drop the whole thing, once the Police visit has taken place and the complaint lodged. It is keeping her awake at nights emailing back and forth with other 'victims'. It is just not worth the hassle, lack of sleep and stress.

I just feel sorry for some of the other victims who stand to lose a lot more than my wife. One can argue they were dumb to pre pay so much, but that does not give the seller freedom to act so badly.

Just curious if anyone has had similar experiences or can offer any advice that could help these people get their money back. Or at least get this woman convicted of something and publically shamed! Maybe lawyer Daddy will take notice.

Just curious. Does ebay operate in Thailand :-(

Sid

If your wife used Paypal, a credit card or eBay there is comeback (and possibly a full refund) there.

Inform every scam site you can find about this fraud.. Oz consumer affairs has a site for scams.

Maybe your wife needs to follow through with the complaint to achieve some sort of closure. If she can't get it out of her mind to give her a peaceful night's sleep, then she may find more comfort in knowing she did her best to rectify the problem.

:beer:

Emails are good as evidence if your email client allows for showing the content of the header (which shows from what server the email was sent and so forth) and if they can be provided in a format guaranteeing they're not altered. Then again, I doubt Thai police even knows what an email is...

Seems 13 ladies turned up to talk to the Police on Sat. All got a chance to be interviewed with some mixed feedback.

One was told that it's not a good idea to come in on a Sat. The police are too lazy at the weekend. And next time come with a reporter if you want action!

Another was told next time bring a lawyer if you want to get some action.

But the main theme seemed to be, that the 'seller' in this case is a small fish. The 'supplier' is being investigated. has been in the press or on the news I think. They don't want to jeopardise the case against the supplier just yet.

Sounds like some big mafia bust! No just ladies selling dolls...

Archived