Airline Blacklists

Fiery Jack

I was speaking to my mate, who's coming to Thailand soon, on the phone and it turns out that, about 5 years ago, he was thrown off a Thai airways flight in London before take off because he was pissed and rowdy and rude to a stewardess (he sobered up and they put him on the next flight). He has since used Thai (once, 2 years ago) with no problem or questions asked, but he was wondering if he was/is on a blacklist somewhere. I know there are airline employees on this board, so what's the score? What's the most "minor" offence that can land you on a blacklist, how long do you stay on it for and is there any way of finding out if you're on one? (Well-behaved types such as myself clearly do not have to fret about such things wink.gif but my mate is sweating a bit, since he hasn't told his wife about his drunken "mishap" and will be checking in with her breathing down his neck, not fancying any quips of the "Oh, you're that guy who was so pissed we chucked you off the plane. . ." variety. blush.gif)

Thanx in advance for any info.

J wink.gif

Or worse: "Oh, you're that guy who was so pissed we chucked you off the plane 5 years ago. . ." , and his wife: "Hey, you said that you where with your friends on survivalcamp in Venezuela!" laugh.giflaugh.gif

When he did fly 2 years ago without any questions asked, then the chance that 2 years later they will ask questions is remote. How to find out: Just call the airline!

"How to find out: Just call the airline!"

What, he just calls them and says, "Excuse me, can you tell me if I'm on your blacklist?"

You reckon? And then what? "Can you take me off it, please. I promise to be a good boy. . ." wink.gif

Hmmm.

J

I do not know of any blacklists concerning behavior on board of an aircraft. Unless someone committed a crime I doubt something like a blacklist is existing in the industry.

There are blacklists concerning fraudulent or stolen tickets etc.

jp1

• 2 weeks later...

This was an interesting topic.. So I called my friend who works in the Security Department at a major us carrier. He said that yes, there is a list of sorts....

It's a list of people that have been forceably removed from a flight, committed ticket fraud or luggage fraud and such things...

Since in the US, the airlines are considered a "public conveyance" they just can't deny you travel for no solid reason. Criminal behavior (assulting flight crew and/or other pax) and theft/forgery (ticket re-sales, mileage scalping,etc) are all valid exceptions and US Federal Courts have affirmed these actions in the past.

He told me that the list is suprisingly short, in the low hundreds at best.

Once on does it ever come off? Depends on who, what, where, when and how s/he got on the list in the first place.

--UPSer

smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Archived