how anonymous is the internet?

Hi,

I certainly agree about a personal firewall and and anti-virus program. With those two installed you make yourself much safer. Learn how to use the programs mind and make sure they are properly setup.

Another good idea would to be use a trojan scanner, lockdown2000 and TDS are both pretty good.

In fact I believe with those two (firewall and anti-virus) onboard you would need a determined and experienced hacker to access your computer.

A lot of todays 'hackers' are script kiddies using pre made software without really knowing how it works.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Totally agree about the dangers of dodgy surfing from your employers machine. If the company is of a reasonable size it will surely have a hardware firewall which will log all web sites visited including the PCs IP address.

Also the Internet Explorer history could be checked, and parts of the registry also hold history of web sites visited plus the web cache.

I've been using a ProtectX firewall and you'll be surprised at how many people try and hack your computer. I didn't think about it before as i had noithing to look at but after installing it it goes off at every other site. Well worth having. The proograms themselves are called 'Trogans' and are apparently easy to use. So be careful opening emailed sent programs. They only take a couple of days to figure out and t5hats it. Game over for any personal details. Be careful all.

Someone mentioned the notorious hacker Kevin Mitnick. From what I understand, he was using a number of measures to be invisible including a cell phone dialup. One time he got careless and left an IP address behind. Even though it was dynamic and just one time, that's all it took for law enforcement to find him. They were able to use this to determine his cell phone number. The next step was triangulating the signal to locate his exact location and they got him.

Archived