American TV Show 'Survivor' Coming to Thailand

mikem55

Escape Rabbit, i would argue with your synopsis on Tarutao...i was there back in '95....granted, the government resort does suck, but it was really refreshing to be on an island that really was a national park (meaning NO other development)....the beaches on Tarutao are some of the best in Thailand, not to mention being some of the only where you could actually make love on the beach without being spotted....if one wants solitude, most of the thai islands have gone by the wayside...Phi Phi, Ko Pha Ngan, Samuii, Ko Samet, Ko Lanta, Ko Chang....all have either crowds, overdevelopment, and are garbage strewn for the most part....in this sense, the Tarutao islands still retain a lot, and it would be a pity to see them go......

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I've been to 3 islands of the tarutao chain (don't know if that's the proper term)"

Mu Koh Tarutao in thai which translates as the Tarutao Archipelago.

"The resorts suck; especially the state park seems to have crusty linen that does not get washed between visitors"

You can say that again. I slept at the longhouse belonging to the national park and the linen sure didn`t look good.

And the food of the restaurant run by the park was very poor indeed. In fact some of the worst I`ve ever had in Thailand.

On the other hand this island made me feel like actually staying in a national park much more so than on any on the dozens of other thai islands I`ve been to.

Each morning dozen of hornbills overflew our cabin.

I had a great hike from the park headquarter in the north all the way to the southern tip of the island and back in 1996. Didn`t meet a soul. Not many islands in Thailand of this size where you can experience the same. Not any actually.

Concerning marine life, I too wasn`t much impressed with the places I saw in the vicinity of Koh Tarutao, but then I went on to Koh Lipe much further off shore and that was really something. I was only snorkelling but it was really great at the corals reefs of especially Koh Adang and Lipe.

Hua Nguu

Of all the bad "Disneyland" type shit influences that occur out of the states I personally think Survivor is NOT one of them.

I am a total Survivor junky and never miss an epsode. One of the things I like is that they DO seem to make an effort to educate the viewers on the customs in whatever local they are in and try to include some of it in the challenges they do.

I think it would be a great thing for Thailand. Not just tourism but for more awareness of Thai culture and customs. Probably not a hell of a lot mind you but something is better than nothing.

While we are on the subject. Can you get Survivor on Thai TV? I'm gonna be there in a Month or so and would hate to miss it.

Another good challenge for the contestants would be to get them to drop their clothes off at a Thai laundry service and convince the owner to return all the garments within a fortnight of when he promised to. The unsuccesful ones will miss their flight home and be stranded in Bangkok with no more Travlers Checks and must find their way home from there. Bonus points for the one who actually gets all his/her clothes back in one attempt.

Cheers

up the Latics

Archived