American TV Show 'Survivor' Coming to Thailand

mikem55

Thailand Latest Target for Hit TV Show 'Survivor'

Thu Apr 4, 7:00 AM ET

By Panarat Thepgumpanat

BANGKOK (Reuters) - The makers of hit U.S. reality television show "Survivor"

want to use an island in southern Thailand for the next series, Thai officials said on

Thursday, despite an expected outcry over the environmental impact.

When the Hollywood blockbuster "The Beach" was filmed on a Thai island in 1999,

environmental groups accused the producers of causing extensive damage and

disrupting the region's ecological system.

Undeterred by the controversy, American broadcaster CBS has asked the Thai

government if it can film the fifth "Survivor" in Thailand's Tarutao Islands National

Park.

Somsak Thepsutin, cabinet minister in charge of tourism and film production, told

Reuters the government was in the final stages of approving the request.

"It is 90 percent done at the moment since I personally want to approve the proposal,

but we need other agencies to approve this too," Somsak said. "We will reach a

decision very soon, and they can come to start the filming as early as June."

Full story:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20020404/en_nm/media_thailand_survivor_dc_1&cid=579

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SNIP "causing extensive damage and

disrupting the region's ecological system." SNIP

Yes, I recall reading that too. What a load of C...

I`ve been to the Ao Maya of Phi Phi Ley both before and after the shooting of the film and the only difference I noticed was that the area had been cleaned up after the film.

What *could*, however, cause both extensive damage and disrupting the region`s ecological system would be the tens of thousands of tourist now coming to this bay just because the film was shot here as is the case of the Khao Dtapuu of Phang Nga bay once featuring in the" Man With the Golden Gun".

Last year I was in Koh Maya on a private boat and watched with horror how a cruiser entered the bay and unloaded mainly japanese tourist by the hundreds.

Anyway, thai enviromentalists and foreign ones as well were all bitching about the severe impact the shooting of this film would have on the enviroment. But what were we really talking about? A few acres at the most that had coconut palm planted and afterwards removed again.

What about the tens of thousands of acres being deforested every year by loggers, farmers and slash and burn agriculture etc? The severe ecological impact shrimp farming has on the fragile mangrove enviroment, dynamite fishing, industrial as well as domestic sewage being led out untreated etc.

That is not nearly as interesting as this is more or less "business as usual".

However, when a foreign film company arrives to shoot a film it makes for great headlines when blaming them for destroying Thailand`s pristine nature.

Hua Nguu

Steve,

You stole my thunder. When I read the first post in this thread, my thought immediately went to how the reward and immunity challenges would be structured.

Possible other challenges:

- Walk the lenght of Patpong on a Saturday night in less than 30 minutes without touching anyone.

- Identify the Katoey out of a crowd of babes

- Barfine a girl out of a bar one night, then go back and try to barfine another without the first one finding out

Any other ideas .....

JG

The "Amazing Race" generated quite a few laughs from my wife, who is Thai. Mostly the total trashing of the Thai language and customs (one idiot thought a tuk-tuk was a rickshaw).

Best part was the couple of guys getting into a taxi. One of them said "What's that awful smell? My sneakers or just Bangkok?"

Couple good shots of soi dogs and beggars too. Aww, the memories. God, I miss the kluay kaek!!!

Quote- Possible other challenges:

- Walk the lenght of Patpong on a Saturday night in less than 30 minutes without touching anyone.

- Identify the Katoey out of a crowd of babes

- Barfine a girl out of a bar one night, then go back and try to barfine another without the first one finding out

ROTFLOL f**king hilarious

Give all the people on the show a truck each in Chang Mia

Get them to drive overnite to Bangkok.

Whoever makes it to the gates of Nana Plaza is the winner.

If any could survive??????????

cheers

Archived