need some northeast issan travel advice

belfastish

im going to los in about 5 weeks,this is about my 10th trip,ive been to many places down south,also up north-chaing mai,udon thani,sukhothai,philsanulok,kk,korat etc.

i going to stay in bkk a few days then go pattaya a few days,where would be good to go from there,and good things to do in issan.

ive been learning thai in australia and can read and write not bad,i would like to go somewhere ,where i can try to speak thai etc

thanks for any help

Korat is close enough to BKK/Patters, then a couple hours bus or train ride to Surin after checking out Korat for a day and night possibly, off to Ubon Ratchatani after Surin, or maybe after Surin or Ubon Ratch a Burirum or Sisaket trip? Cambodia is easy to get to from Surin for some gambling-whoring- a trip to Angkor Wat maybe? Plenty of things to see and do in Isaan. Make it to the border and take a Mekong river boat trip along the Mekong up to Nong Khai or so, stopping once in a while to see towns and cities along the river? Pop over to Laos?

What do you really want to see and do? And, does nightlife play a big part in what you'd like to have along the way?

Cent

p.s. Almost all these places have great places to see and things to do, Wats, temples, ruins, odd tourist sites. Many have limited nightlife options, though most will have a massage parlor or two to be found if needed/wanted along the way.

if going to practice your thai within the major uni centres try khon kaen & korat (but you already been there!).

for absolutely tranquility & easy going hanging out the border towns of nong khai (Lao) & aranyaprathet (khmer) are my recommendations in that order!

however if you need 'central thai' practice apart from bkk the central towns of ayutthaya, lopburi, nakhon sawan, petchburi etc may be worth checking out deeper...

maybe just go with the flow - see where the next bus/train/songthew/girl takes you & take it from there - isan can be great for that - it's a vast & varied area ;)

enjoy!

sorry i should have gave more info,my holiday is only 16 days total:(not much time

ive traveled around cambodia and ive been to laos so i want to use the days trying somewhere new.

i think heading towards ubon rachathani looks fun with a few stop offs.

i know most of the places wont have much going on unless you know someone.im not hard to please as long as i can have a beer and something to talk too 555

thats very kind to offer nervous,but where is it?i never like to plan too much,in thailand its hard to stick to a plan:)

thanks for info

if ur coming to ubon u can always check out wrong way cafe, alot falangs eat and drink there.

also niteclubs here, e-bar and u-bar are good, u bar having live bands, very easy to speak with the locals.

there really isnt alot to do here unless ur girlfriended up, most falang here are over 50, lol. im in ubon but i drive everyday to amnat chareon where my missus family have a factory and i help out there. the weekend i go and chill with girlfriend & friends, usually eating, bowling, movie.

i train every day in the local park, mornings mainly but in the evenings theres a market and the park is choco blok and its easy to speak with every one there.

if ur into the bar thingy there is an area with lots of bars but not to sure about the women there, lol.

if ur driving then thats where it gets better, u can travel around from ubon and theres lots of great places to see,

Wat Pa Maha Chedi Kaew temple in si sa-ket, this is a temple made of just beer bottles, got to c to believe it

sam pan bork, just outside ubon, though the water is low now

mukdahan, border with laos, good for the day.

phra-tam mountain area.

there is a website called we love ubon ran by a american guy, his blog is worth checking out for lots and lots of more info.

also the women are the most beautiful here so if u can speak the lingo u might just find a future wife, hahaha...

if ur really stuck u can always pm me, but if i were u with only 16 days then i would head for koh chang, koh samed, cambodia. all the best

Archived