Again = ÃÕ¡¤ÃÑé§ (eek khrung)

However 'never again' should mean

äÃèÃÕÃÕ¡áÅéÇ (mai mee eek laew)

äÃè·ÓÃÕ¡áÅéÇ (mai tham eek laew)

äÃèÃÕ¤ÃÑ駵èÃä» (mai mee khrung to pai)

ja mai keey tham eek

¨ÃäÃèà¤Â·ÓÃÕ¡

I will not do it again

You wouldnt exactly say just "never again" in thai it needs the verb with it to sound OK (like do, go ,come etc ). Whereas in english a shortened version will make sense. One of those phrases, I suppose, that you cant really translate word for word.

Ok, don't want to step on anyone's toes here, but because the man is considering this in ink it will be best for us to get it right for him. So, I would appreciate it if anything I say or suggest here could get some some kind of approval from one of the board's resident Thai members... ????

Here goes anyway....

Never again's meaning cannot be translated literally here. You will have to look at the context to catch the sentiment intended. To me what this means can either be "I don't want to 'make' this mistake again.." or ".. I will never 'let' this happen again". The first instance being that the problem was through one's own fault. The second instance being something that was beyond control of the person, didn't see it coming but has learned from it. I'm gonna guess that it's the second situation here..

And with all respect to you daeng bireley, I'd have to say that your suggestion is not correct. The verb keey (or à¤Â) is one that can only be associated with a past action and not a future one - as in 'i will never'..

I think that TGIAM has come the closest here with "mai tham eek laew" ( äÃè·ÓÃÕ¡áÅéÇ ), but again the context will have to be considered. This would be suitable if you wanted to say 'I will not do this again'. 'DO' as in yourself being the instigator/perpetrator and not someone else. On the other hand "ja mai mee krang dtor pai" ( ¨ÃäÃèÃÕ¤ÃÑ駵èÃä» ) would be much more suitable and would carry the sentiment of 'there won't be another chance of this happening' or 'this won't happen again'.

But yet another suggestion equally suitable would be ja mai hai gert keun eek (¨ÃäÃèãËéà¡Ô´¢Öé¹ÃÕ¡ ) which would express "I will never allow this to happen again".

Confused yet ? crazy.gif

Good luck and make sure you let a Thai read it before you get it tattooed... (better still, get a Thai to do the tattooing!!! :p)

Cheers,

Dan

Archived