Written Thai

ThaiGirlLover

Not sure how to phrase this 'newbie' question:

I have noticed a lot of written Thai in this forum using the English alphabet and was wondering if the average BG understands the English version of the Thai script? In other words, if a BG doesn't have great English language reading skills would she be able to understand:

phom khit thueng khun

Also what does KOON mean?

TGL,

Where have you been then ?? Haven't seen you in a while we was all missing your comments. as for the question NO most girls don't understand thai written in english and as lots of books spell the same words differently it's quite hard for me also. As for KOON or khun = you

Now don't disappear again !!!!

even well educated thais with a university degree and reasonable english skills have difficulties to read the english version of thai script.

a good example is the word "koon" that you are looking for; depending on pronounciation and tone it could mean before, piece, to multiply and even you.

Even well-educated non-Thai non-english people will have trouble to read the english transliteration of Thai language.

This is the reason why I made the effort to learn written thai, just to be able to catch the right prononciation immediately without having to learn as many transliteration systems as there are authors (from Thai to french there are at least three different systems !)

Romanised Thai as it is called is just a crutch for english speakers to start learning Thai and that is all.

After you must read Thai to be able to pronounce properly.

And even then. The weird Class rule spellings get you going.

>a good example is the word "koon" that you are looking for; depending on pronounciation and tone it could mean before, piece, to multiply and even you.

Sorry, Samak, you're not totally correct here.

Before. ¡èù should be Korn - not koon as you suggested.

Piece ? Which word are you talking about ?

Multiply. You're right. I would spell as - koon.

You ¤Ø³ I would spell Khun

Transliteration for Thai is never easy. I think Thai authority should set up a method once and for all.

Transliteration for Thai is never easy. I think Thai authority should set up a method once and for all.

There is such a system, the one that is used on all road signs, and other offical translations. Problem is not a very good system, designed to be a lowest common denominator system, so that most farang pronoucing the word say something approximating the actual word. No tone markers either.

Other systems, for more serious applications, exist but yeah, arent standardized. Again, it's how broad an audience you want to appeal to. Some try to transliterate all the Thai vowels into the standard 5 english ones, where others use special characters.

Archived