arghhh! affidavit for tourist visa, a quest.

Please, only those in the know, with experience, answer. Do affidavits of support (form I-134) help get a tourist visa if one's girl friend has little to show as far as income and bank accounts go. Or is it just another form of toilet paper for the US embassy little rooms. LOL, but no, seriously! Thanks for your input.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as I know, that would used only for fiance/dependant visas, although I might be wrong. As a general rule, a B2 visa is issued only on the merits of the person applying for the visa. As far you supplying an affidavid of support for her, the embassy folks might think you're bringing her to the states for marriage, not for a visit. It has been known that young ladies with a B2 in hand, entering a port of entry in the US, have been asked "you are not coming here to get married are you?" Not funny,it happens. I don't think your offer of support would help her get the visa, probably would hinder it. Hate to tell you this but about the only way to get her here is through the K-1_K-3 route, with a student visa being a long shot. Good Luck,HSTEACH

Thanks. It's in those times i could wish i have stayed in France all my life. Just a stamped paper from the city hall where she will stay affixed to a guarantee of lodging does it over there. We may have to meet in Paris! Come to think of it, it does not sound bad. but shame to a country who does not give the right to its citizen to invite a 3rd world friend. A bond only refundable upon proof of return of the guest to its country (LOS) would be something feasible if Uncle Sam is so scared of little thai women. Beats me!

I agree. Like it or not, Thais and Filpinos have the highest rates of overstays in the U.S. and Canada.. There are organized rings that help Thai girls find Americans to marry to scam their way into the country. That's just the way it is.

"There are organized rings that help Thai girls find Americans to marry to scam their way into the country."

The organized rings are a lot more sophisticated than that. My wife is Thai (we live in Denver) so I get to hear a lot of the inside info. There are actually rings that bring Chinese people to LOS, then set them up with Thai passports, and set them up with US tourist visas. This stuff involves very high ups in the governments and somehow Thai Airlines is involved with this. There is also a ring (very common with the Denver Thais) that allows a bribe of about $4-5,000 USD to be payed to someone in the US Embassy in Bkk in exchange for a tourist visa.

There is another scam which involves some Singaporean officials. The Thais who are here on a tourist visa and who overstay their visa, can pay about $800 and a Singaporean agent at the airport will stamp their passports with a previous date so that it looks like they entered Singapore before their US tourist visa actually expired. The US would have know way of actually knowing this because we do not have any kind of exit stamps when one leaves the USA.

One more scam, but this one involves Mexicans(or perhaps any terrorist who want to enter the USA):

For $2000, they can enter the US through the border. Anyone who has been down to the border towns before knows that you can just pull up in your car, show some ID to the official and then you are waived through. There is a whole organized ring of corruption involving the US agents and Mexican smugglers. When I used to work in a restaurant, I would ask the Mexican employees (I speak Spanish) if they were going home for Christmas. They would say that they couldn't afford it, I responded with surprise that they couldn't afford the $50 bus fare to Mexico, "no" they advised me, they couldn't afford the $2000 bribe to return across the border!

great info, Jaybloom. A lot better than the previous "keep our jobs" whining posts. Just to think of the US companies going abroad taking advantage of cheap labor, I mean, who are we kidding?

besides, if ever it was her intention, with her poor english skills and education, the only jobs my GF could steal would probably be the one from another illegal immigrant, LOL.

OK, she could be a waitress in a thai restaurant. What a treacherous stab in the back of the american worker... re-LOL!

[color:blue]A lot better than the previous "keep our jobs" whining posts. Just to think of the US companies going abroad taking advantage of cheap labor, I mean, who are we kidding?

besides, if ever it was her intention, with her poor english skills and education, the only jobs my GF could steal would probably be the one from another illegal immigrant, LOL.

OK, she could be a waitress in a thai restaurant. What a treacherous stab in the back of the american worker... re-LOL!color=blue>

You have a curious definition of "whining". Fortunately, while the people that make our laws are not geniuses, they do have at least a little practical sense and prevent the complete breakdown of our economy that completely open immigration would cause.

Oh, and I'll apologize for all Americans about hiring foreign workers to produce our goods. It really was quite obnoxious for us to presume that they would want our filthy money in exchange for their labor. We'll get right on fixing this horrible inquity.

I hope your GF is a stunner, since you apparently have such low respect for her intellectual and physical abilities that she wouldn't even be qualifed to be a maid or a factory worker in the U.S. (unless you really do believe that all unskilled laborers in the U.S. are illegals). I'm also sorry to hear that she has a mental defect which prevents her from learning English or any new (even menial) skills.

Thanks for stepping in HSTEACH. Farangdung has made a specialty of being personally insulting and extrapolating on my posts, which in this case was merely stating the obvious as i am not ashamed to say my GF has had limited education, especially in english.

Our friends prefer to ignore that 10 000s of skilled foreign workers are coming every year, accepting lower wages than americans would demand. It is a fact of the economic life of this country that companies could not care less about american jobs if they can employ for example indian engineers at half price with very little social costs, no severance package and certainly no retirement costs. And it's legal.

It's very simple: As an american citizen, i believe that my governement, being paid by me, works for me and that there should be some ways i can invite a friend from abroad as a tourist. the reason being that i would like my GF to see where I live and work, meet my friends and hopefully enjoy staying. In which case i would legally proceed to marry her and have her immigrate, go to school, learn a craft, work, all things she is capable of, if given the chance. And to hell with those who forget this great nation is a nation of immigrants. hence its greatness.

Archived