home page hijack

Hi guys,

I was looking at some naughty sites and one of them has overwritten my homepage default and I can't get rid of it. I have truied resetting my default back to the one that was set when windows was installed but this dodgy site has now taken its place. Any hints as to how to rid myself of this pest or do I have to reinstall windows again?

hi,

right click internet explorer, click properties then you should be able to change your home page. check to make sure the offending site hasnt downloaded anything onto your comp by going to control panel, add/remove programs. uninstall if it has and restart.

Buksida,

Thanks for the tips, I have been able to reset the default home page and have checked that they haven't instaled anything extra. All works fine and dandy except when I reboot or start up it overrides my default again and I get an add for penis enlargement pills as my new default home page again. Seems to be a rather virurent strain I have here.

Yeah on the tool bar , tools, internet options , and then the general tab should give you a space for setting your default homepage settings. Like the other guys siad if you have mistakenly downloaded one of those ivasive little programs you will want to uninstall it. But you might allso want to grab

the ad-aware freebie program from lavasoft. It will sniff out any unwanted little trojans http://www.lavasoftusa.com/aaw.html

Hello fast_fred,

If you didn't get rid of that homepage yet, I have a few suggestions. I'm not sure what os you are using, but I assume win9x, or Me.

1. You should try to take a look in the startup folder (startmenu/startup) and look for anything suspicious.

2. Look for the program System Information, if you have it, it's found in startmenu/programs/accessories/system tool. You can use this to control which programs will run at startup. Use the function in tools/system config util. And click the start up tab. Just be careful what you disable.

3. The hardcore way to do it. Use regedit. If you are not familiar with regedit, don't try it. The keys for auto load at startup are "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" and "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices"

Hope this will help smile.gif I think once I ran into the same problem and as far as I remember I just deleted a program from the startup folder to make it stop.

Best regards,

Danish30

Well thanks chaps for your most learned responses,

I finally nailed it with ad-aware. I thought i would never get rid of that giant penis that kept popping up. I owe you guys a beer on my next trip.

On a similar note, I have this ezSearch bar hijacking my Internet Explorer and putting itself on the tool bars automatically.

I using Internet Explorer Version 6.0.2600.000.

The ez Search bar puts itself on automatically, even though I have locked toolbars check.

Whats even worse, if I stay at a page without doing anything for a minute, it will jump to this web site :

http://64.159.94.251/ezsb/bar_new.php?aff_id=7

which will put another tool bar at the bottom of the screen.

I've looked in the tools | Internet Options | Advanced section and can't find anything that keeps this coming back.

I ran Ad-Aware and it caught three, two of them in my Eudora Ad Cache and the third one in IE under this name :

Started registry scan

======================

Alexa key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\internet explorer\extensions\{c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a}\

The two on Eudora will come back after I run Eudora, so it seems these are part of using the Eudora 5.1 in sponsored mode (with the advertising). This I can live with as Eudora is my favorite email client.

I used Ad-Aware to clean the Alexa Key with no results. It is still there.

Any one have any ideas where this came from, and how to get rid of it.

Cheers!

<update> Found the program and was able to Uninstall it. Not sure how it got installed in the first place.

Archived