1. Feel sorry for the North Korean team. 2. Have red-shirts occupied LA?

dave32

1. Excerpt from Time article: "Portugal's 7-0 massacre of North Korea got me thinking about death. Not the metaphorical kind. As I watched North Korea's coach Kim Jong Hun prostrate himself for having abandoned the Winged Horses' tight defensive posture in favor of an ill-fated offensive campaign, all I could think was is this guy gonna get executed when he returns to the Hermit Kingdom? Or, at the very least, disappear into the bowels of some labor camp where twigs and leaves count as dinner?"

Link

2. I walk outside for lunch today, and what do I see right in front of me??? Can it be????

4725904013_5485ee682c_b.jpg

4726579236_ce732759ca_b.jpg

Well...

2. It turns out the Korean community is having a party to watch the WC game right across from my building. And there were some hotties walking around, my god it was a glorious sight. I became a red-shirt myself for the afternoon.

1. The Korean thing tied it together, yes? Though red would've been the more appropriate color for the North, don't want to get hung up on trivialities. I was just too damn lazy to start two separate topics.

Fuck it.

Ps. The mexi-korean fusion taco truck came around... I grabbed a kimchi quesadilla and came back to work 45 minutes late.

As my man Ice Cube so eloquently put it: 'today was a good day...'

Dave, will do. Stopped by the Monkey and the Bounty a month ago, briefly, didn't recognize a soul. If you go to the Monkey during the day, say hi to Alan for me. He's the owner and usually greets customers at the door (either him or his wife, Ludie). He's tipped a few with some of the Nanapong crew in Bangers.

June 23, 2010

HOW DID IT PLAY IN PYONGYANG?

Posted by Evan Osnos

North Korea’s return to the World Cup after a forty-four-year absence was sufficiently exciting for the Hermit Kingdom that the Kim regime took the unprecedented step of mounting a live broadcast of the team’s matchup against Portugal.

After all, the North Korean squad had acquitted itself respectably in a 2-1 loss against five-time champion Brazil, showing enough strength that the official government news service hailed the “seesaw battle†in which “DPRK footballers created good shooting chances, not losing their confidence even after losing two goals.†(The final score was not reported.) It was a good enough showing that Kim Jong Il took some credit for it: The team’s manager Kim Jong-hun told ESPN Thursday that the Dear Leader “gives regular tactical advice during matches using mobile phones that are not visible to the naked eye.â€Â

But the live broadcast of North Korea’s second game, against Portugal, did not go as planned. The Letter from China’s chief World Cup correspondents Max Klein, Justin Orr, and Julia Piao tracked the coverage: “North Korean announcers were very vocal in the first half, saying that they might even have a chance to win, but were completely silent after Portugal’s fourth goal, changing the feed to other programming directly after the game without any post-game commentary.â€Â

North Korea succumbed 7-0, and the result does not appear to have been reported in the North Korean press. No sign of it in North Korea’s main newspaperâ€â€accessible by a Japan-based portalâ€â€and, so far, the official North Korean news agency has not yet gotten to the story. Instead, lead pieces for the day include “Revenge-vowing Meetings Held,†“Russian Dance Company Performs†and “US, Provoker of Korean War.â€Â

Link

Archived