Bangkok car hire company wanted

torrenova

All the biggies are here (Avis, Budget, Hertz, etc.) and they all pick up and deliver the vehicles to your location.

Just be sure to have about B45k or so free on a credit card as they put a hold for that much on it even if renting for a day or two.

Rates usually include unlimited kms and insurance with a B10k deductible (you can buy extra to cover that too for ~B200/day). I've never had an issue with any attempted scams (ala the jet ski rental thing). All straight up and painless really.

Do a web search for the company contacts. They're pretty much all the same.

She doesn't have a credit card and in any case, if the deductible is Bt10k (which I consider too high) then why would you need a higher deposit ?

Just remembered these guys http://www.qcars-bangkok.com/ Used them in Pattaya but never in Bangkok. Relatively painless, 5k deposit (though wanted 10k). Hired for a month but I guess the same procedure for a weekend.

That'll likely be a problem, the no credit card thing. Never tried without.

The deposit is for...who the fuck knows; you make sense but TIT. The smaller companies don't put it on your card (just do an imprint/blank slip you sign) but the big ones do. They all seem to have this policy and I've used maybe a dozen of them :dunno:

Try this local company and see how you do. http://www.thairentacar.com/Promotions/

The big players want large guarantees against your credit card limit even if you buy their usually massively overpriced damage limitation waivers.

Trouble with LOS is too many chancers not having the right insurance anyway and your being asked to pretend you are their "flend".

My ex actually thought she was going to be able to hire a car when she never even had a license, claiming her sister's license would be ok but she didn't even have that !

Guest lazyphil

you put me onto david car rent lk for a phuket car rental, it all seems ok, i called, without a credit card they said they can have your passport instead :surprised: .....in the past, alone, i rented clapped out jeeps on the beach in patong, now i'm having a big paranoid headache with the prospect renting a car with family.....is comp insurance kosha in los???.....what if my car gets stolen?......etc........yeah, i'm a big wuss lol

Phil, you'll be fine. I know friends who've had accidents with rentals. No drama. Medical is not covered, but you'll have travel insurance for that, right?

David is cool because it is a family biz and been there for donkey's and never have heard a complaint. Last time down, I forgot my license. They just looked up an old rental, after I flirted a bit with the gal who runs it and used that. They are one who just imprint the card, but never run it.

As Torre says, the big boys have their corporate procedures and that's that.

The big players want large guarantees against your credit card limit even if you buy their usually massively overpriced damage limitation waivers.

Trouble with LOS is too many chancers not having the right insurance anyway and your being asked to pretend you are their "flend".

My ex actually thought she was going to be able to hire a car when she never even had a license, claiming her sister's license would be ok but she didn't even have that !

:rotl::rotl: Beautiful story! Well, that ain't happening in the Mango. Not in 2010 anyway.

Although hey, the license thing may work if they look alike....

Proper Thai car insurance, when you have a claim, is actually faaarrrrr better than any experience I've had in the West with the same.

Archived