A couple of queries about Face/Culture

solar

1 I took a BG (from Soi 33) to a 'Disco Bar' in Lang Suan Rd and she felt distinctly uncomfortable apparently because there were Thai nationals there. Taking her to a restaurant with what appeared to be a similar mix of Thai and Farang and there, she seemed to be OK. In previous visits, I have been to the same Disco Bar with other BG's (from SC) who have thoroughly enjoyed it and were extremely keen for a return visit.

2 Why does such a polite nation degenerate into a scrum when it comes to getting on the Skytrain?

Any ideas?

As far as your second comment on boarding the BTS, have you been to any other countries in Asia? China, Malaysia, Singapore? It happens the same way there. I don?t think Thailand is any better or worse. It just seems to be a fact of life in Asia, that courtesy to strangers is not done or expected back.

Thing that makes me angry with these girls:

I f I ask where You want to go, what to see and so on and so on..She says :"Up to You"

Fuck,Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh, very very very wrong answer. If I am going to do my way , I am not polite and ask stupid questions. Has somebody else noticed this the most irritating thing ? (rhetorical question)

I had thai GF for two years, when she aswered "Up to You", I went to next bar and drink beer for a few hours and she was angry of course. Although she didn't learn any right answer and that's why she is Ex-GF.

Many of the bar girls are in something of a state of denial. Once outside of the bars, they pretend they are "not that kind of girl". Being taken by a Farang into a place where she was rather obviously recognised as a working girl made her feel uncomfortable. The problem is that plenty of the bar gals don't care. So how do you know which kind she is??? ("Up to you" may simply mean that since you're paying, it should be your decision -- not hers.)

As to why Thais (and other Asians) are so impolite in situations like the SkyTrain, I imagine part of it is simply the anonymity of the situation. Nobody knows you and you'll probably never see them again, so you can get away with being impolite. I've had Bangkok Thais tell me they think it is a big city thing. In smaller cities and towns you won't see this behaviour very much. But in big cities people tend to forget their manners. Even 20+ years ago, I had Bangkok Thais say to me: "Oh, you're so lucky you live upcountry. People are so much nicer than in Bangkok." And that was in the 1970s, when Bangkok was a quarter of its present size and there were no traffic jams (unbelievable as it seems).

2 threads now going against the sky train...sorry guys I don't find the people that bad there.Or I guess I kindda get on the same wawe lenght.That U have to change Ur notes at a different place than where u buy the ticket seem very unconvenient so I find it better(and a little cheaper) to buy abonnement.It's funny they could only partly furnish the stations with escalators.

But while I use the skytrain about everyday I really don't know what kind of impoliteness you guys are talking about??I can't figure out what U're expecting(no kidding)

I have taken I few Go Go Girls, well to be precise Emergency room girls to Excyte in Pattaya. There were not many Farangs about, the girls seemed to enjoy themselves, I did think afterwards whether they did enjoy it given that they would obviously look loke working girls even though we were both quite youngish 20's.

Would she have felt uncomfortable?

STH

I am guessing people are talking about people barging in the train before people have exited. I don't actually think they are being rude or unfriendly; they simply don't know any better. The skytrain is the best thing that has happened to this city to me. The taxi's at most times of the day is just maddening. My whole life revolves around where I can get to from the sky train. Let's see patpong, nana, cowboy... Just kidding! There are some quirks to get used to, but I think Bangkok is a very friendly city. It seems a lot of people you come into contact with in Bangkok are actually from Isaan such as restaurants, taxis, hotels, and bars.

Archived