'Demarcation must precede temple talks'

Flashermac

The dissents on the ICJ court are fascinating ... and scathing. Basically, the majority had said that Thailand had not officially protested the wrong map before, therefore the wrong map became the correct one. :dunno:

Here's one:

<< I regret exceedingly that I have found it necessary to express my views at such length. This case, important though it is for the two States directly concerned, has however a significance which extends beyond the confines of the present litigation.

Whether the Mixed Commission did or did not delimit the Dangrek, the truth, in my opinion, is that the frontier line on that mountain range is today the line of the watershed.

The Court however has upheld a frontier line which is not the line of the watershed, one which in the critical area of the Temple is an entirely different one. This finds its justification in the application of the concepts of recognition or acquiescence.

With profound respect for the Court, I am obliged to Say that in my judgment, as a result of a misapplication of these concepts and an inadmissible extension of them, territory, the sovereignty in which, both by treaty and by the decision of the body appointed under treaty to determine the frontier line, is Thailand's, now

becomes vested in Cambodia.

(Signed) Percy SPENDER. >>

Link

The court documents are here:

Link

Archived