Paying Tax

greg

Apologies if this questin has been answered before.

As a British person, if I live in Thailand for a year on an Immigrant visa B (Thus enabling me to work if the opportunity arises) but do not work, will I still be liable to pay tax to the Thai authorities?

If I do not work I will be living off UK savings. If I find work I have no objection to paying tax but do not wish to do so if I dont find work.

I was going to enter on an Immigrant visa B as I was led to believe that you have to go back to the UK if you want to upgrade a tourist visa to a B visa.

Again any info greatly received.

Cheers

You only have to pay Thai income tax on money made in Thailand. I'm sure there are some technicalities that will be brought up by some experts, but basically, if you do not have a job, you will not pay any Thai taxes.

As far as the type B visa, it is true you cannot convert tourist visa or 30-day stamp to a type B in Thailand. If you were to enter Thailand on tourist visa or 30-day stamp, then you have leave and get a type B issued outside Thailand; you would not necessarily have to go back to UK. Consulates in neighboring countries can be stricter on required documents for type B visas.

Realistically, you cannot get a Class B visa unless you have a job, or at least a job offer, and a work permit. When you get a work permit, it is for a specific job, working for a specific employer. You cannot even change employers on your own, even if you are performing the same work.

The Thai government carefully regulates work permits, in relation to how many Thais are employed by an employer, for each farang work permit requested (currently in BKK, four Thais must be hired for every farang work permit). The rules area little bit different for English language schools - there, they are allowed so many work permits for every classroom they lease.

You probably underestimate the complexity of getting a job, work permit, and Class B visa over here, on a "freelance" basis. I just started my own company over here, and I have everything in order - but I am still about four weeks away from getting a work permit to work for my own company (formal application package was submitted on 9 April).

Good luck!

B-Fly BKK

Archived