Penang Visa Run: VIP Bus or Train?

Gotta get a new dble entry visa this week.... any recomendations re VIP bus or train to Butterworth, please?

(err, I posted a sim question last year but paid 8K to avoid the trip, this time I can't afford Visa Vince) TIA.

train is way preferable if you have the choice. Just too many stops with the bus, and an horrendously long ride. I have not done the train ride in a while, but i remember the restaurant served some of the best buttered fried squids i ever had. A bit of thai life:I remember sipping my last beer, and start seeing the train personal put mats on the restaurant floor for the night. I just wondered if they work every day, then this has to be the way they'll sleep every night for months. Just a little snapshot of Amazing Thailand.....

DB & pattaya127,

thanks for the timing tips etc.

I booked a VIP bus today, leaving on the 20th at 1900 arr. Butterworth 1200 Sunday (debateable!)

One change, they tell me, at Hat Yai, no waiting.

It leaves from HLPong Stn. adjacent to the KFC shop.

It pays to shop around, I was quoted 1600B from one agent and got the thru ticket for 900B from their oppo next door... same bus!

DB,

outside, on the left of the entrance to Hotel Swiss (a shithole) is an Indian moneychanger.

These guys go to the consulate for you for only M$14.....

I recommend them if you go again.

I got what I wanted, a DBLE entry TV.

I stayed at the Swiss 1st night... then moved to the Fantasy Hotel on Light St.

It's run by two toothless old Chinese guys, rooms are clean with bath, western toilets, shower, aircon and fan for only M$34.

The VIP bus ripoff from Hua L Pong station is another story.... NEVER again!

I got back on Wed morning.

Just wondering, is Vince the visa man a reliable/safe way to sort your visa requirements?

Never used an agent before so I'm wondering.

Thanks.

Archived