Is Batam worth it?

walletss

For my next trip to Thailand I am thinking about changing my choice of carrier from Qantas to Singapore Airlines. Seems that Qantas has decided to up its price by 25%. I am now looking at flying from Melbourne to Singapore with a stopover in Singapore and then on to Bangkok. My idea is to spend one night in Singapore and then take the ferry to Batam for two or three nights, then back to Singapore and on to Bangkok. Is it worth the diversion? I wouldn't mind sampling a local Batam girl just for the experience.

If you search this forum for "batam" and especially "bintan", you will find lots of material on the satisfactory excursions which the serious sanukers from BKK have made.

Wagner

Do a search on Google for "Batam Nightlife Forum". The forum hosted on Network54 should answer a lot of your questions and not be quite so offensive as the Sammy Leong forums. You can arrange ferry tickets with hotel packages from the world trade center (Singapore). If you go to Nagoya in Batam stop at Lucy's Oar House across from the Melia. The fellow who runs it is real friendly and can load you up on starchy food and send you on your way with a good driver.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey you are starting to depress me. I am booked into the Mandarin Regency in Batam for 3 nights. It's a stopover on the way to Bangkok, and I don't play golf. You mean to tell me that I will find the bg scene depressing? My initial thoughts were that it was good enough for a brief visit.

I certainly didn't mean to depress or discourage you. Since I stayed at a golf resort each time, I found it easier to pick one of the massage girls to stay with me for the weekend, my friend would get one of the freelancers in town. Mine was delivered and picked up at the door by resort staff, he had to work (not much) harder.

3 days should give you plenty of time to form your opinion. Post a trip report and let us know what you think.

TH

I have posted several Batam trip reports in the trip report section of the board. My favorite pick-up places were the discos, Sphinx and Ozone. Also had good luck at Ice Pub, which is a small freelancer bar. Most of the girls hit Ice Pub early in the evening and then head to the disco.

Ranger

Archived