Bus/Train to Buri Ram

zigfreed

Hi Zigfreed,

I would take the train always when I have a choice over a bus, for me more comfortable, can walk around, no rotten potholes, some good scenery,food and drinks available etc... I think about 7 hours from Bangkok, similar to bus in time.....but, hell man I love trains!!!! Not sure why you are going to Buriram, but I had a great time. Like the small town atmosphere, friendly people, couple of cool discos-well if you like thai rock music, can find a friend if interested....take a side trip to Phanom Rung-great Khmer temple site not far from Buriram...enjoy

Hi Pattaya 127,

ok ok, I was answering the question in regards to Buriram town, appx. 30,000 souls, it is easy to get around cause its a relatively smally town......but you are right, the province of Buriram is gigantic and is chock full of people but spread out like much of Issan, btw can continue for a pleasant further train journeys east via Surin, Si Saket and Ubon where train terminates.......

I agree. The train is always more comfortable. Takes a little longer than the bus, but it's a pleasant ride to Buriram by train. I didn't stay in the main district, though, but headed straight for the Phnom Rung vicinity upon arrival.

Take the train.

Hi Zigfreed,

Well of course there is 1rs, 2nd (fan and AC) and 3rd.....I usually take 2nd fan if its not toooo hot and AC if it is(its a time of year thing and personal preference really)....did 1rst a couple times, ok, but I like 2nd better, with the food vendors coming on the train and usually fan cause then I can roll down the window-though it can be hot if you travel daytime, I think 2nd was around 200B one way two years ago.....ummmm as far as hotel, it was a thai one, can't remember-cause it was in thai hah ha....but I looked at a few before I chose this one, more in town center, a bit away from the train station close to the discos...Speed was one, can't remember the other, decent and cheap(way cheaper, hotel, food and sanuk, in Issan than Bangers, Pattaya, Samui, Phuket etc.....maybe your taxi man can help....or other posters....enjoy

• 2 weeks later...

There is a train that leaves BKK in the evening arrives 7 AM or so BR city.

No first class, hard seats.

My Sony Camcorder has the infrared night vision, sweetie & I entertained ouselves watching other passengers in the darkness, :-o

Small cafe across from the station is open early, for a nescafe & rice porrage.

Several pickup trucks = taxis on the street.

My sweetie was from BR province, we hired a pickup for 500 BT for the 1 hour drive toward Cambodia. The last 30 minutes was on red dirt roads..had to pass some "road blocks" are we neared Cambodia.

Flat rice fields were the extent of scenery. The unusual farm machinery was interesting & we passed several working elephants...

Mama & papa lived in a "bamboo hut".. grandmom was chewing the "red nuts" & drinking home brew..

pretty good home brew whiskey was 70 BT for a large plastic jug.. actually smooth & packed a serious kick!

Anybody with a BR honey, GO. The trip remains a vivid memory for me.

Archived