HIV/AIDS Over The Counter Test?

Savittre

A few months back, I remember reading about a pharmacy near Patpong, (on Silom Road?) that sold some kind of AIDS test. I got the idea, rightly or wrongly, that this test gave accurate results in a much shorter time period than the usual 90 day period people need to wait. And that these tests are sold in packs of 5, for about 2000 Baht.

If anyone can fill me in with more details, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks in Advance!

The test is highly accurate when done correctly. It's simple and can be done with a shwab of the mouth.

However, it can't speed up the process of detecting when antibodies are present. The average exposure can be detected in 25 days, with 99% of exposures determined in 90 days. The test itself takes about 25 minutes to complete and get results. Cost: about 2,000 baht for five tests available at Suriwongse Clinic.

RE: Time from exposure to accurate result.

They do vary with different tests, because they test different things. Western blot, for example, one of the first standards, tests many different things, some of the immune responses typically showing up 6 months to a year after exposure. Discovering better HIV markers over time has led to tests that show good results more quickly after exposure.

I think Orasure is on the low end of the immune response tests (median + result after 25 days as I recall), but more than that I can't say for sure.

I hope this doesn't sound too dumb, but does this mean HIV is present in saliva? I wonder because this test is done with a 'schwab of the mouth'. Thanks

Also, as HIV testing is an evolving science, what is the best test one can have done? Thanks again!

Archived