Final night of Watson's Jeopardy match set to start in an hour

dave32

The whole thing was kinda anti-climatic and no doubt part PR blitz by IBM. But all that taken into consideration there was a fascinating (and impressive) element to it.

I wish I could drop by the human race in a couple hundred years to see what's going on. I'm sure people will be the same and hopefully we won't have obliterated ourselves ---> but there will be some cool ass toys.

note: 'cool ass toys' doesn't mean cool toys for the ass. Though I'm sure those will evolve too.

For whatever reason, 'ass' has evolved as an emphasizer in some slang. Examples: "She had on a hot dress," becomes "she had on a hot-ass dress." "I don't like dave's dumb style," becomes "I don't like dave's dumb-ass style" (maybe easier to decipher with a hyphen).

The whole thing was dull to me. Watson had a huge advantage on beating the humans to the buzzer. Pitting human reaction time against a computers reaction time (almost a complete win for the computer) vs. a computer's ability to figure out language vs. a human's ability (a more interesting question, the computer having an advantage in memory, the human having an advantage in language) made for a very boring contest.

Basically it came down to how often did the computer fail to get the answer because its ability to hit the button quicker was almost 100%.

Boring. Fast forwarded through it.

(If you're wondering how I saw this in Thailand, usenet is a wonderful thing. :))

I was just excited about the idea of it -- and the attempt to level the playing field in the billion nuances in language.

Some of his potential answers were pretty far out there though, still a ways to go.

I like the reporter said that this is just a human thing and a reflection of our own anxiety -- the computer doesn't give a shit. :)

Archived