Better than DSl ?

Basically, the progression of internet connection goes like this: modem--> isdn--> cable--> dsl--> T1 and up. DSL is the best internet connection the average consumer can get. Unless you got a couple of thousand dollars, T1's and up are not on the menu.

Some say cable is faster than DSL. Thing is, cable subscribers in a particular area all share the same damn pipeline. Therefore, at peak hours you have congestion that slows down the speed drastically.

ISDN is meant to be reliable but is old hat nowadays compared to DSL. DSL is where things are heading - and at least in bangkok can be setup reasonably (???!!!!!) easily...... you'll need a TOT phone line for QNET services. They're ok, lots better than dialup's (the all-in monthly dial ups seems a good buy though...).

One real issue is not just how fast your download speed can potentially be - the word here is potential. Recently the cable somewhere between thailand and Korea or somewheres got screwed up with virtually no internet access to USA sites for a day or so. Your ISP will only have so much bandwidth available to USA, so it may not always be quite so fast as you imagine.

Things are improving at least, and you can unlimited DSL access monthly now for a bearable cost.......

coops

I'm actually VERY disapointed with my cable conection.

Not only at peak hours does it slow down, sometimes only 30kb, but at night when I have ocasionally had downloads as fst 320 kb/sec it often is very slow. I had some in the know hypothesis that they may be doing regular maintenance on servers but of cours my isp denies all.

go to

www.lensodatacom.co.th

this'll take you to Qnet site - have fun rummaging around but don't expect current prices etc to be correct....... give 'em a call!

basic lowest speed is 64kup/128kdown - not exactly cutting edge, but beats the shit out of usual thai dial up. you can pay more for higher speeds - i'm using 128up/256dn ok.

think 512k both ways seems the published max (may be higher for business users i'd guess if requested).

latest special offers don't seem to be easy to find on this site if at all - call and get them to email the current offers is the easiest. Range from paying for hours of internet access valid for months or whatever to fixed rate monthly deals at last...

coops

Archived