Thai Deputy PM : Protesters died as they ran into bullets

ThaiHome

Interesting Post on the Bangkok Pundit blog.

Thai Deputy PM : Protesters died as they ran into bullets

By Bangkok Pundit Mar 09, 2011 8:00AM UTC

Link

Last year, 91 people were killed between April-May 2011 during anti-government protests by the pro-Thaksin red shirts. The pro-Thaksin opposition party Puea Thai has signalled that they will raise this, amongst other subjects, during the no-confidence debate which is scheduled for later this month. One of those who will be censured is Deputy PM Suthep. In a seemingly preemptive strike against criticism on the government’s role, Suthep has explained how people died per Khao Sod:

“à¸à¸²à¸£ อภิปรายไม่ไว้วางใจครั้งนี้ อย่าà¸à¸°à¸žà¸£à¸´à¸šà¸•à¸² ผมจะซัดเข้าให้ เราจะสู้ตามความเป็นจริงà¹à¸•à¹ˆà¸•à¹‰à¸­à¸‡à¸­à¸”ทน เราไม่คิดเข่นฆ่าประชาชน เราไม่เคยใช้à¸à¸³à¸¥à¸±à¸‡à¹€à¸ˆà¹‰à¸²à¸«à¸™à¹‰à¸²à¸—ี่ตำรวจทหารเข้าสลายà¸à¸²à¸£à¸Šà¸¸à¸¡à¸™à¸¸à¸¡ à¹à¸•à¹ˆà¸—ี่ตายเพราะวิ่งเข้ามาใส่†นายสุเทพà¸à¸¥à¹ˆà¸²à¸§

“For this no-confidence debate, don’t blink! I will shift the blame. We will battle it out on the truth, but you will need to be patient. We didn’t intend to kill protesters. We never used the resources/force of the police or soldiers to disperse the protesters, but they died as they ran into [bullets]†said Suthep

BP: This a direct quote from Suthep. Khao Sod is partial to the red shirts, but MCOT, which is a state-owned media organization, has the same quote. Thai Rath and even the RTAF’s Directorate of Intelligence thought it credible enough to cite the reports. Actually, by all reports Suthep said this on March 5 so don’t expect The Nation or the Bangkok Post to be printing this today. Despite the inflammatory, Gaddafi-like statement, it has not been highlighted in either the Thai language or the English language. All the reports have buried the story, but what was more extrordinary said this at a Democrat Party meeting entitled “Principles of the Democrat [Party]†( â€à¸­à¸¸à¸”มà¸à¸²à¸£à¸“์ประชาธิปัตย์â€). Well, at least one can’t say the Democrats don’t stand for anything.

I am curious if our Thai readers here agree with the translation. I am completely dependent on translators and they say nothing about bullets so that appears to be contextual addition. Could Suthep have meant they ran into the area where bullets were flying?

Any comments ? Flash?

TH

So, you agree that he meant they "ran into bullets" rather then they ran into an crossfire or where bullets were being fired? Did he use the word "bullets"?

Another translation I got was it meant to say that people ran towards the soldiers and that is why the fired.

TH

WING KHAO MA SAI ...

I take this to mean ran into the bullets, though he didn't actually say what they ran into. The implication is they ran into the bullets (could have been a cross fire). The language is conveniently vague, as one expects from a politician. The meaning is clearly that the victims were some how to blame, even if innocently.

If he was saying that people who were in area that where other people were shooting, throwing grenades, or even homemade rockets and petrol bombs at the army then they were putting their life at risk, I would have to agree with him.

Just as an example, if you are standing near this guy and you got shot, or you an innocent bystander?

med_1299655510-Red_Protestor.jpg

Innocent if you didn't realise he was about to start shooting. Not so innocent if you were cheering him on.

Reading into Suthep's statement, I think he means non-violent protestors who got caught up in the firing between the "black shirts" and the government troops and police.

To me innocent clearly means the people at the Saladaeng skytrain who were killed or wounded when Seh Daeng's black shirts fired 40mm frag grenades at the station where they were waiting to go home. It doesn't necessarily extend to protestors with clubs or knives who were threatening the troops.

Archived