RIP Elisabeth Sladen

shygye

Link

DOCTOR Who fans were in mourning last night after one of his most famous companions Elisabeth Sladen died.

The 63-year-old actress - best known as Sarah Jane Smith in the show and spin-off CBBC series The Sarah Jane Adventures - suffered from cancer.

Tom Baker, who starred opposite Elisabeth after he took over the role of the Doctor from Jon Pertwee in 1974, expressed his shock at the actress's death.

Writing on his official website, the 77-year-old explained he hadn't been aware Elisabeth had been ill despite having agreed to work with her only last week to record some new Doctor Who audio adventures.

He said: "A terrible blow to her friends and a shattering blow for all those fans of the programme whose lives were touched every Saturday evening by her lovely heroic character, Sarah-Jane Smith."

Tom added: "Those sweet memories of happy days with Lis Sladen, the lovely, witty, kind and so talented Lis Sladen. I am consoled by the memories. I was there, I knew her, she was good to me and I shall always be grateful, and I shall miss her."

• 2 weeks later...

Archived