Australia to ditch 5 cent coin

gobbledonk

Hot on the heels of the headline that Australians 'making do' on 150K a year are 'struggling', comes news that our little Echidna-adorned 5 cent piece is to be phased out.

http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/32056.html

Businesses will inevitably round up instead of down, and it wont make much difference to those of us who have to pay $5 instead of 4.95 for something, but can you imagine the impact in a country like Thailand or its poorer neighbours ?

Still, if it costs more to make a coin than the face value of that coin, then its days are sorely numbered. Rumours that shopkeepers in Sydney wont accept anything less than a $2 coin are still being investigated.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whats the smallest denomination in the US these days Flash - the 3-dollar bill ?

If the Fed keeps printing money, they might as well start printing 10,000 dollar notes and handing them out to school kids. Ask the Germans about mega-inflation sometime.

I've got some of the old coins at home. Oz had already switched to the dollar, but did so using virtually the same coins. You'd find shillings and pence in circulation with decimal coins. Only way to tell them apart was to read what they said.

Last time I was in Laos, I changed 4,000 baht into kip. I practically needed a basket to carry it away. :p

Archived