New notebook

limbo

I'm looking at getting a new notebook, ideally it should be fast with lots of memory and not too expensive!

Any ideas or suggestions?

Looking at an Acer 7740 or a Dell series 17 1747, are they available at all in Thailand?

Limitations are the need for the web for a lot of the high powered stuff. With out "The Cloud" it becomes a bare bones machine.

The up for it is it is almost all solid state and the OS is such a stream lined set of code... the thing is booted up and running before you get the screen all the way open.

As far as cost, I have no idea what they will price out at, but I suspect it will be fairly cheap as Google wants that market and also does not care as much about money.

Intel is coming out with new sets of chips and their intention is to replace the netbook with what they want to call the 'Ultrabook'. They will be lighter than a netbook, much faster and more expensive. Asus joined in with the announcement of their own on their model called a UX21. These are scheduled to out before Christmas and I am sure that the price will go down early next year. Maybe you can pick up a netbook very cheaply at that time. Or maybe you will spring for an Ultrabook.

zen

@ Corinthian,

Read up a bit on the Chrome Book, it looks awesome, but given the areas that I work in around SEA it will be very limited use for me, unfortunately, unless I have it at home. On Amazon it went for 300,-GBP which seems like a decent price.

@ Zen4dummies, thx for the input, I'm afraid I can't wait that long nor will I have the budget for such an expensive machine.

I'm looking at getting a new notebook, ideally it should be fast with lots of memory and not too expensive!

Any ideas or suggestions?

Looking at an Acer 7740 or a Dell series 17 1747, are they available at all in Thailand?

I would go to Pantip and look for the best bargain.

What I consider a bargain you might not that is why I say go and look. With the prices dropping, you should get a real good deal.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived