What Are The Best-Selling Expat-Authored Books?

ThaiHome

Flash, they also will supposedly have Sam Adams on sale at the celebration as well, and Bud and Miller High Life (bleech - I hate Miller). And American ballpark beef hot dogs/franks, not the Thai or German ones. 200 baht for tix bought before the day, 300 at the door. Some great bands playing too. Should be a fun day. See you there?

In Vietnam all we got was Carlings Black Label. Turned out the Sergeant Major of the Army was getting a kick back on it. He's the one that was almost kicked out of the Army for his various "fiddles". They let him retire because of his distinguished combat record in WWII, though the GIs who had to drink that crap (usually warm) might have disagreed.

Used to buy CBL beer back in the late 60's/early 70's. 4 dollars a case of 24 12 ounce bottles. After the first three it didn't taste so bad (if ice cold). Could get Knickerbocker beer the same price, and Ballentine's Ales as well. 5 bucks for a bag of medicinal herb which made 20 fat smokes, a buck for a bottle of cheap Boone's Farm apple wine. You were set for the weekend for 10 bucks for your partying and relaxation. :-) Five bucks for gasoline at 32 cents a gallon. And at Mickey D's you could get 3 or 4 burgers, a fries and a shake for a buck. Like 20 bucks all in for a pleasant weekend with friends and your ladies.

God, I am old! 5555555! But for 20 bucks you could have your weekend fun, smokes, herb, booze and cheap food, gas in the sled, and a Sunday Chinese all you could eat buffet on Sundays for 2 bucks. A movie at the matinee was a buck entrance fee. Those were good days from memory. :beer: :bangit: Where's the 'old geezer' smiley?

My first real job was teaching in the States for about $650 a month. That was a lot of money 43 years ago! :D

But Selective Service decided the military couldn't do without me and got me a new job making about $109 a month. :p

I'm still wondering what was going on at the induction center. We were marched around by Marines, processed by Marines, sworn in by Marines ... and found ourselves in the Army. I told a Marine sergeant, "I thought we were going to be Marines." He answered, "We got all the Marines we needed last week. The Army gets everybody for the rest of the month." Probably just as well.

Archived