Stupid Passport Tricks *DELETED*

db,

"Is it that easy to get a replacement passport? I thought all replacements now went through the National Passport Center in Pittsburgh, PA. How did he get one "a few days later"? "

The arrest occurred last November. Aren't the new passports, which require the special issuance procedures from the passport center in the US, more recent than that?

Regards, JEff

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I former friend of mine (and many other Swedes) forced himself into my home a couple of years ago when I stayed here in Thailand. He was under the influence of some illegal substance and thought my room mate had been with his girlfriend. Anyway, after some fighting, breaking some things etc etc he left. I filed a police report explaining the incident. Apparently, my former friend got caught in Bangkok and ended up in jail. The Swedish embassy helps him getting the bail money from his brother back home and a new passport (This guy actually is a taxi driver, Alholk!). Somehow he got out of the country. This hasn't stopped him from coming back to Thailand repeatedly. Though he makes sure I'm not around... I still keep the police report and will call the cops as soon I see him, and he knows that ('cause I sent the message through some friends we still have in common)

A colleague of mine once lost his USA passport and had it replaced the next day (time to get the right signatures).

It doesn't get flagged at outbound customs since the origin of the passport is noted on it. Therefore, no entry stamps if you are exiting the country where the passport was issued.

A previous poster is correct. The new passports are only available in the USA and one must wait to get one if in a foreign country.

Although I have no knowledge of it, can't help but believe there must be some "temporary" arrangement/passport available should someone legitimately lose one while traveling. Can't imagine being forced to stay somewhere while waiting for the USA bureacracy to move. Perhaps some of our well informed board members can clarify.

I wonder if that guy felt it would be better to flee by any means possible than to face justice from the Thais.

If the charges were true, couldn't think of a better place than Thai prison to reflect on the error of his ways.

I hope he can face extradition or at least be charged and prosecuted for his Thai transgressions. A shame if all he faced was passport violation.

The following was post from the US Embassy and para two outlines that there is indeed a way to immediately issue a passport. FYI: the original posting incident happened well before this policy came into effect.

"Effective April 8, 2002, American citizens residing or

traveling abroad who require issuance of a U.S. passport

will be issued the latest, state-of-the-art passport

incorporating a photo-digitized image and other enhanced

security features. U.S. Embassies and Consulates will

achieve this goal by transferring the passport issuance

function to a domestic U.S. passport facility. This will

increase processing times at some U.S. Embassies and

Consulates, but the Department of State is committed to ensuring

that American citizens receive secure documents in a timely

manner. American citizens are encouraged to apply early

for renewal of expiring passports.

U.S. Embassies and Consulates will continue to issue

passports in emergency cases. Such passports will be

limited in validity, and cannot be extended. Bearers will

be required, however, to exchange their limited validity

passports for a full-validity photo-digitized passport upon

completion of their emergency travel, either through passport

facilities in the U.S. or U.S. Embassies and Consulates

abroad."

"Good fake passports are also very easy to get in Bangkok. Supposedly no problem using them all over the world except in the issuing country. I was once told $2000 is the going price and visa stamps are no problem either. "

Those fakes... Are they fake all the way? Or are they real passports which have been repurposed? If so, what is the cost of a real passport? [note I am not asking how to get one or offering to sell one -- it's just a market question]

Well i'm not selling passports but if people are willing to pay 2000$ for one I may start!!

half of it for an original one seem to be enough,this including a picture change and an entry stamp registered in the immigratiojn computer.talking about real passports there.

Fakes are sold too but I don't think they're used to pass immigration checks

PS:no need to send me a PM I'm not selling any passport

"Remember ALHOLK, that options always open to anyone in trouble, go to KL "

One sure needs some contact to get to KL without a passport but I heard of other stories of embassies there more willing to help than those in BKK.I guess they're not yet overwhelmed(or at least bored) with citizens in catastrophic situation,as it's the case in BKK

I agree, I wouldnt like to have to smuggle myself across to Malaysia. The staff at the British Embassy in Bkk are repellent.

The only words they can say are " we are not a travel agents"

They would let you rot on the streets, they should in my opinion put you up in a tourist class hotel say like Majestic Suites and give you 1800 baht per day subsistence money until you can get the first flight out.

There is one particulary horrific woman there, a fat yorkshire woman who hates all men.

STH

My first passport was issued in Houston, Texas. My second in Honolulu, Hawaii. However, I think NOW that only the New Hampshire facility is being used to renew passports for Americans who are abroad.

Archived