Installing Ubuntu

Redbaron

Hey guys,

Have downloaded and made a CD for the Ubuntu OS and it looks great. One of the main reasons for making the switch was so I could clean up my computer and hopefully get rid of all the crap that seems to have built up. Since I still have my installation CD for my internet router, I figure any other little program I need I can download again later.

The PC has 2 hard drives, the main one I run my OS from, do my shit etc, the other one (same size) I use as "storage". That's where I chuck all my downloads - movies, big files and music mainly, as well as personal photos etc. The plan was (is) to wipe the main drive after saving other data I need onto a USB or external HD (tax returns, legal stuff, work stuff etc). My backups also save to a separate partition of that drive.

The question is - once I wipe my main drive, will simply starting the PC up with the Ubuntu CD in the drive still work, and will it prompt me to install the software? Or is this (formatting the HD) an unnecessary thing to do? The installation process of the Ubuntu CD does give me the option to delete Windows (one of my goals) - will this be enough to rid my main drive of "crap"?

Thanks again, in advance.

.. the option to delete Windows (one of my goals) - will this be enough to rid my main drive of "crap"?

Thanks again, in advance.

Unless you are committed to deleting Windows, and your main goal is just to clean up the "crap" have you considered Crap Cleaner (now renamed CCleaner and free). Sounds just the jobbie?

Unless you are committed to deleting Windows, and your main goal is just to clean up the "crap" have you considered Crap Cleaner (now renamed CCleaner and free). Sounds just the jobbie?

Yes, would prefer to delete Windows entirely. Only conundrum was if doing a clean sweep - format of my main drive, would cause any problems, and if the Ubuntu CD would still load from the CD drive automatically on restart

Yes, would prefer to delete Windows entirely. Only conundrum was if doing a clean sweep - format of my main drive, would cause any problems, and if the Ubuntu CD would still load from the CD drive automatically on restart

If the computer isn't very old it should boot from the CD. You might have to enter the BIOS setup and change the boot sequence but is done automatically in most new computers.

Except for games there are very few Windows programs for which there aren't sufficient or better replacements in Ubuntu. If you need to download and install from the net you will have to learn to use the program apt-get (quite easy).

The old data disk should be fine as long as you don't reformat it during the installation process.

I personally run Fedora so there are probably others on the board more suited to help help you if needed.

regards

ALHOLK

Archived