More Trink twaddle?

Palatkik

Anyone know what the hell Trink is talking about in this weeks column?

>Apparently it won't be long before tourist applications will have to be considered by a committee before they are approved or rejected. It'll count in your favour if you give as your reason for wanting to visit that you are eager to see the temples.

Right. Trink's envisioning a scenario where each visa will undergo extraspecial scrutiny, as revenge for Thais receiving scrutiny. The temple remark regards his oft-repeated claim that the TAT believes most, if not all, tourists come here for the temples and other purely cultural attractions, choosing to ignore the fact that many come for the nightlife.

WHile I am not a big fan of this Purachai fellow, I do understand his thinking and he is right on the visa issue. Economically speaking it is a total bone head manuever and completely impractical but from a perspective of justice and pride I can see his point. Thailand makes it very easy for AMericans, Taiwanese, JApanese, etc to get into Thailand and these countries reciprocate by making it virtually impossible for Thais to get into their country. This is a slap in the face and just down right unequal. However there can be nothing done because all these countries Purachai derides are the same countries that are key to the health of the tourism sector.

I disagree, Trotsky. As has been pointed out before, there is not a problem with Westerners overstaying their visas in Thailand, but there has been a huge problem with Thais overstaying their visas in the U.S. and Canada. If Westerners were overstaying their visas here in large numbers, and I mean SERIOUSLY overstaying them, not just a couple days before leaving anuway, then I could see Purachai's move.

An excellent point, db. I would like to point out, though, that with Hispanic workers, say in the Southwest, they tend to fill jobs that Americans would never take anyway, quite honestly; they say that's a big reason why Immigration never moves ALL THAT seriously against illegal Hispanics.

Thais, however, that's different, and yes, you are right. Not many Thais out there in the California lettuce fields or serving as maids in those plush Albuquerque or Phoenix mansions. I've heard of many Thais working in, say...Shock! Thai restaurants illegally. I've never seen any Americans in Bangkok working in the Hard Rock Cafe here, although it's true that I did not inspect the kitchen staff too closely.

Equal, reciprocal visa policies imply equal, reciprocal situations.

Even if it was necessary to get a visa in advance to visit Thailand, the tourist economy would not change too much. The Czech Republic requires this from most western countries and Prague is still one of the most visited places in Europe. People would simply have to fill in a form and/or pay a small fee before entering the country. This still seems unnecessary as most if not all westerners who enter Thailand are contributing to the economy, not draining it. Anything is possible in Thailand though

I am pretty sure he was just saying that immigration is really cracking down on foreign workers. The what next?? is what he was talking about.

Archived