Random Sports Stories

Steve

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This cracked me up. I liked this story when I read it. I like seeing stereotypes proven wrong, etc.

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/201111/green-bay-packers-reciever-plays-race-card

Green Bay Packers receiver Jordy Nelson, who is white, has become one of quarterback Aaron Rodgers' favorite targets and believes his skin color has been somewhat of an asset.

Nelson broke into the spotlight a year ago by scoring a crucial touchdown in his team's Super Bowl XLV win over the Steelers, becoming just the fourth NFL wide receiver ever to post nine catches for 140 yards and a score in the Super Bowl.

Other Packers receivers joke that Nelson is the beneficiary of being the only white receiver on the team, suggesting opposing defensive backs don't think of Nelson as a big a threat.

A shame. One of my childhood heroes.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/After-being-sued-for-200K-Julius-Erving-puts-h?urn=nba-wp9766

After being sued for $200K, Julius Erving puts his trophy case up for auction

I hope it all works out. He was one of my biggest childhood heroes. A shame he left the game as salaries were skyrocketing.

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/throwback/201111/dr-j-memorabilia-fetches-35m-biggest-online-sports-auction-ever

Dr. J Memorabilia Fetches $3.5M In Biggest Online Sports Auction Ever

Julius Erving is one of the best basketball players in history. When it came to earnings, however, Dr. J's career ended just before salaries began to soar higher than his breathtaking one-handed dunks.

Erving's biggest payday by far came in the wee hours Sunday morning when an online auction closed and 144 of his possessions had sold for $3,552,627.

His 1974 ABA New Jersey Nets championship ring fetched $460,741, the highest total ever for a sports ring. Five more of Erving's rings each exceeded $195,000. Three MVP trophies each exceeded $165,000.

What SCP Auctions had described as "the largest and most significant player basketball collection ever sold" indeed set a record for the most money brought in for one man's basketball memorabilia.

"It was mindboggling," SCP president David Kohler said. "Normally rings go for $25,000 or so. Before the sale I didn't think they'd bring $50,000. We were blown away. I spoke to Julius and he's ecstatic."

Nearly everything went higher than expected. Dr. J asked a minimum bid of only $2,000 for his high school class ring, yet it sold for $35,801.

The cash should come in handy for Erving, 61, who was sued last month for an outstanding debt of $205,277.84 to a bank in Georgia. The Heritage Golf Club near Atlanta he bought in 2008 and a $2.3 million home he owns in Utah face foreclosure...

My nephew is currently in his second Volvo Round the World Yacht Race on the American boat Puma.

Currently tackling a few problems.

PUMA's logistic comeback trail

When PUMA's mast smashed into three pieces "in the middle of freakin' nowhere", skipper Ken Read's mind was racing. His team had a limited amount of fuel, food and water - and they were hundreds of miles from land. Fast forward 24-hours and Read has a plan. With the help of an extensive support team PUMA's Mar Mostro and her devastated crew have tonight started their complex trip to Cape Town.

Read shares his thoughts:

“It has taken me a long time to come to this conclusion: There is nothing you should be surprised about in ocean racing. Yesterday was no exception.

The day started off simply enough, breeze filling from the northeast, and it was a great ride due south with 20-25 knots of wind and average speeds in the low 20s. Making tracks. Looking at the routing software and seeing only five days and some change left in the leg. Looking at Telefónica and trying to assess where and how we could get by them.

We were racing. Racing is great.

Then, in one brief moment, we started surviving.

I was on deck for a couple hours trimming the main for Kelvin and the new watch came on deck. Jono took the main, and Tony grabbed the wheel. The boat was ripping, we liked our spot and all was good. All morning it was reef, un-reef, reef again.

About 10 minutes after I got below, the watch on deck asked for a hand to reef again. Tom Addis had his foul weather gear on and said he would go up and help. Then, three minutes after the reef was in, and we were off again, our world came crashing down around us.

The very last thing I thought of that day was we have to be careful of our mast. This boat and everything on it was built to push and we were pushing. Nothing out of hand, but we were certainly pushing.

We are trying to assess what happened to the mast and chances are it will be some little fitting that simply gave it up at the wrong time. It usually is. I hope for our sake it is as simple as that because our spare mast is identical and we have to find the weak link so we can be sure this doesn’t happen again.

Wake up racing, go to sleep 2,500 miles from where you need to be with a 15 foot stump for a mast and a storm jib and storm trysail lashed to it going 2.8 knots. Wondering when food will run out and how to use the limited amount of diesel fuel that is on board.

This is when you need friends and people that care for you.

In the modern days of communication I can call anyone in the world from the phone on the boat just as if I was in my car driving down Memorial Boulevard in Newport, Rhode Island…just a tad more expensive.

Calls to Volvo Ocean Race headquarters sprung them into action. Calls to our sponsors and Kimo and the phenomenal shore team, and they spring into action. Dozens of ideas being thrown around. Trying to think clearly because we are in the middle of freakin nowhere and I have 10 people who not only want to continue with this race and see this thing through, but they also want to eat at some point and have water to drink and be real human beings…and not drift toward South Africa with no hope of being there in the near future.

So this is where we are.

At approximately 1800 GMT this evening, the ship Zim Monaco should arrive to our position to deliver 450 litres of diesel fuel. At the end of the day, we determined diesel is our lifeblood out here. With it, we can make water and make ground towards a given destination with our 15-foot stump. And that destination is…drum roll…the beautiful island of Tristan da Cuhna!

That’s right, Tristan Island. My daughter, Tory, sent me a fantastic e-mail telling me that Tristan has a population of 275 people and is literally a volcano sticking out of the middle of the Atlantic Ocean 6.5 miles wide. It is the closest point of land, which we can re-supply and rally around the next part of our plan. No airport, no other way to get to the Island except by boat.

From Tristan, we plan to have a ship meet us coming from Cape Town with its own crane that can center pick the boat up and place it on the ship on our cradle that our shore crew will have in place upon arrival.

Oh, and the harbor is too shallow to get into in Tristan. We will have to do this in the ocean.

On the ship will be our shore team with a 20-foot container full of tools and equipment and all of us, and we will spend the next four-plus days of transport to Cape Town putting the pieces of Humpty Dumpty back together again.

The spare mast is being flown in from the US as we speak and will meet us in Cape Town. We will need to get the boat in the water as soon as we get to Cape Town to tune the rig properly in time to do the In-Port Race and the next leg to Abu Dhabi.

What could go wrong?

Well, without the people in the Volvo Ocean Race office and our internal folks and the Rio Maritime Rescue Authority and the radio operator in Tristan and Antonio Bertone [PUMA CMO] and HÃ¥kan Svensson [bERG CEO] and Captain Borys from the Zim Monaco, etc, etc, there is no way that any of the above crazy scenario would even be remotely possible.

Will it go exactly as planned? For sure no way.

Will it happen? Hell, why not.

So, between Amory and myself, we will report on progress. And, Amo will certainly have his camera tuned to this crazy action. Stay tuned and don’t be surprised if the big cat is back on the line in Cape Town. That is what is keeping the crew on this boat sane right now. Hope.

And, the realization that you never know what tomorrow may bring.

Kenny

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/PUMA-s-logistic-comeback-trail/4133/news.html

m6542_crop18_608x404_1321912443CD57.jpg

Nephew is second from the left, holding the rail.

• 4 weeks later...

m3432_crop10_608x338_1320818175C1BC.jpg

Puma is back in the second leg after non-stop repairs in South Africa.

My nephew was bowman on the winning Ericsson boat in the 2008/09 race and they broke the world record for the most miles covered under sail by a mono-hull in a 24 hour period, over 600 miles... that's not sailing, it's flying.

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/news/4382_PUMA-relish-return-to-competition.html

In God he trusts - Tim Tebow fuels the American divide

HIS fans say he is streaking towards a divinely sanctioned destiny. His critics believe he is a pretender whose time is running out.

And the pundits in the middle suspect he is on his way to becoming the most controversial American sportsman since the heyday of Muhammad Ali.

Meet Tim Tebow, the God-fearing quarterback of the Denver Broncos and the most talked-about athlete in America.

Two things have made Tebow famous. First is a winning streak that has been so strange and unexpected that commentators have asked quite seriously whether divine providence has played a part.

The question is not quite as outlandish as it might seem.

The 24-year-old Tebow is not just a footballer. He is, in the words of The New York Times: "A champion of Christianity in shoulder pads, a wholesome, fearsome football player who loves God and touchdowns, in that order."

He was home-schooled by his missionary parents until he attended the University of Florida, where he became one of the greatest college quarterbacks in history. He gained fame for writing biblical verses on his face before games. He spends holidays preaching to prisoners in America and circumcising babies in the Philippines.

His student exploits and attitudes made him a poster boy for the Religious Right, a status cemented last year when he was the subject of an anti-abortion advertisement that was broadcast during the Super Bowl. It told how his mother fell ill while pregnant. She was advised to have an abortion but refused. And thus Tim Tebow (pronounced Tee-boh) was born.

The career that followed is now the predominant and most divisive topic of conversation in sports bars.

Tebow was only made the starting quarterback for the Broncos in October, but has already racked up a string of legendary last-minute wins. His first full game set the tone: against Miami, Denver became the first team in NFL history to win a game after being down by at least 15 points with just three minutes to play.

Such successes are marked by Tebow genuflecting on the field. The pose he adopts to pray in public on one knee, forehead resting on fist has been dubbed "tebowing".

Yet doubts loom over him for one good reason: he cannot pass the ball, a skill usually deemed crucial in a quarterback. More precisely, he cannot throw accurately. More than half his passes have been incomplete and he often relies on running past defences to score which frequently results in him taking bone-crushing tackles.

His unconventional style of play has fuelled an army of unbelievers. "He runs like he's stealing a toaster from the mall. He's a cavalcade of failures. Why the Denver Broncos give him a pay cheque, nobody knows," The Wall Street Journal said.

Other pundits see the feud over Mr Tebow as symptomatic of a greater divide in American society that between the Religious Right and secular-leaning liberals.

Such talk begs the question of what his future might hold. Already one commentator has mentioned 2024 the year that Tebow will become eligible to run for President.

The Times

• 1 month later...

I stopped watching American football several years ago and I don't even watch the Super Bowl much these days. Not saying it proudly but just stating the facts. It wasn't 'football' (soccer) that made me turn away from it, I'd have done it anyway. The American football I remembered as a child is no more. Its been replaced and packaged as 'entertainment' NOT a sport. The Super Bowl is no more a sport than the Oscars are. Its an event. Its an entertainment event because it can't be a sport when the half time entertaiinment and the new ads are more important the game. And the actual game has been made into a 4 hour long, boring event because they can milk more ad money over 4 hours than they can for 2 hours as it was in the past.

Okay, tirade over.

I've heard about Tebow and its not because I'm a fellow Christian but so what? He loves God and wears it on his sleeves. Annoying? Probably. There are worse things than a bible thumping, seeminly untalented QB. Sorry.

Can't say I'm upset over hearing this. I simply detest the chest pounding self congratulatory hip hop, urbanized version of athletes these days. Okay, I sound like some Uncle Tom, self hating black guy. I'm old school. I'll admit that. I played pop warner football and was pretty darn good at it. Had I been a little bigger (and braver) a Division 1 career may have been forthcoming. Track was much safer and Chocolat Steve likes to keep his face looking pretty. Anyway, when I scored I was told to act like I've done it before and I'll do it again. TO has been an arrogant prick for most of his career. It was about him and NOT the team and that self grandizement is now part of the NBA as well. Maybe its in baseball. I don't know, I haven't watched a baseball game in years. I feel guilty feeling good if not neutral over another mans loss of wealth but I sat through too many ESPN sports centers of TO talking bullshit to feel any pity for him. Sorry.

http://www.yahoo.com/

Terrell Owens has always been an island of sorts. His brash personality and self-absorption routinely alienated his teammates during an NFL career that teetered between terrific and toxic, leaving him to fend for himself.

Now, at 38 and out of football, he's lonelier than ever, and running out of money. In a GQ profile, Owens comes across as wounded, broke and desperate. When people text him to ask where he is, he replies back: "I'm in hell."

But is it his own fault? That's the perennial debate on T.O., who had a heartbreaking childhood but continually pointed fingers at everyone but himself once he became an adult.

In the GQ story by Nancy Hass, Owens blames the media for not giving him a chance to rehab his injury, blames agent Drew Rosenhaus for not protecting him from a bad business arrangement, and -- perhaps most surprisingly -- blames a former team captain for his issues with former Philadelphia teammate Donovan McNabb.

Owens earned around $80 million during his NFL career, but has found himself in deep financial trouble, despite never spending lavishly. In the February edition of GQ, Owens admits to trusting the wrong people, who in turn cost him a lot of his fortune.

Owens said financial advisers recommended by Rosenhaus lost much of his money in highly leveraged ventures, then houses and apartments he thought he could rent out in a worst case scenario became dead weight in a housing market collapse (none of the properties is particularly excessive, but total a yearly mortgage of about $750,000), and $2 million was lost in an Alabama entertainment complex investment. That venture turned out to be illegal, and also claimed former Redskins running back Clinton Portis as a victim.

"I hate myself for letting this happen," Owens told GQ. "I believed that they had my back when they said, 'You take care of the football, and we'll do the rest.' And in the end, they just basically stole from me."

Owens has also found himself friendless, thanks to a growing sense of distrust thanks to his many unfortunate dealings.

He never had many friends -- teammates never called him to party, he says, wrongly assuming that he was "too big" to socialize -- and now, "I don't have no friends. I don't want no friends. That's how I feel."

And on top of that, he's battling in court with four women to whom he pays a total of $44,600 a month in child support for his four children, ages 5 to 12.

"If there's anything I'm sorry about, it's getting involved with all that." He never actually dated any of the women, he says. One was a one-night stand, the others "repeat offenders." Owens, who has never been married, concedes he is "not a very good judge of character." Still, he "never suspected they were the types to do what they done in the past year."

Archived