anti theft device for notebook computer

sanukdee

I will be visiting LOS soon and want to bring my notebook computer. I will probably be staying at Nana Hotel and am a bit worried about leaving the computer in the room. I understand most notebooks have a cable lock port. Is this type of lock effective? Where can I buy one quickly on line in USA? Or do they have them for sale in LOS too?

Most any computer store, CompUSA, Circuit City, etc., will have these cables for sale. All laptops made within the last few years have the necessary port.

They will discourage the causal thief; the maid that sees six months wages just sitting there in an easy to grab package? but they won?t slow down a professional thief. Of course, there should be no professional thieves in your room?

I?m paranoid; I keep the cable lock on all the time at my condo in Pattaya. In BKK, I slip the laptop into the room safe when I leave; my IBM StinkPad just fits?

I've got one of those combination cable locks. You've gotta remember to leave the combination in locked mode when the notebook has been removed and the cable left tethered otherwise someone might be around to take a note of the open combination to use when the notebook is connected.

Cheers,

I went ahead and ordered a combination cable lock online at PC Connection Superstore. I waited and waited for it to arrive in the mail. Finally I got a phone call from them saying it was out of stock and discontinued.

Anyhow I'm off to LOS tomorro so I hope I can find a cable lock there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • [color:blue]"I will probably be staying at Nana Hotel and am a bit worried about leaving the computer in the room. "color=blue>

Or try to stay in hotel that has a big enough in-room-safe. The Grand President and the Landmark have ones.

A 10lb laptop? Damn, does it have it's own wheels?

Anyhoo, my IBM is 10" x 12", and just fits in the Grand President safes... short side, diagonaly. So if yours is much diagonally, it won't fit. (that's what she said)

BTW, another good thing about the GP over the Nana, besides the hallways not smelling like stale piss, is they have a DSL (shared) Internet connection available in each room through your LAN card.

"Are their safes big enough for a 10lb 15" screen laptop?"

My laptop has a 15.7" screen and it fits in the GP safe just fine, with room to spare for the camera and other stuff.

Archived