Govt Sacrifices Eastern Bangkok

WorldFun

Interestingly, there is plenty of hard stuff on the shelves - bourbon, scotch, vodka, gin ... and plenty of wine. The Thais obviously are beer drinkers.

I can just imagine people flocking to the groceries to stock up on beer, desperate to get there between 12 noon and 2pm, after which is it illegal according to a law that doesn't exist. :hmmm:

Care to explain that one Mac?

This is LOS, where politicians can make proclamations and not be challenged. The drinking hours go back to Thaksin's buddy, Khun Purachai - aka Mr Clean, who decided he didn't like people drinking. (He's a born-again Buddhist.)

I walked into my local mini-Tesco one day and when I went to buy a couple bottles of Asahi beer (which I knew they stocked), I was confronted by a yellow sign in both Thai and English. It informed me that "According to the proclamation of the Revolutionary Council" alcohol could only be purchased during the hours of blah blah blah...

My first thought was, "WTF - has there been a coup and I didn't hear about it?" Uh-uh. Mr. Clean dug around and found an old proclamation from a military coup in the 1970s. He liked the idea, so he ordered it obeyed.

It wasn't long before the newspapers started noting the the courts had already said that proclamations of past coups have no legal basis whatsoever. After that, the signs came down and were replaced by the present ones stating that "the police" have ordered that alcohol shall only be sold during the hours of blah blah blah.

To the best of my knowledge, no law has been passed to support these hours. It is just something that is allowed to go unquestioned. TIT

Archived