Cell Phone Dial Up

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You just need to dial your ISP with your modem enabled hand phone connected to your PC. If you use a Thia cell phone service you must be registered for data connection which is only available on post paid accounts last time I checked. If you've got GPRS you don't even need an ISP as you are connected to the net already via the cell phone provider and pay them by the byte.

Cheers,

Cheers! How does one connect firstly a laptop and secondly a PC to an internet enabled cell phone. Is there a nice simple cable that does it? Do you need a special card or software to get it to work?

Depending on your cell phone model you usually have 2 options, using the infrared port or connecting with a cable. I would suggest the cable since I don't have any good experience with the infrared connection. Check with one of the cell phone accessories shops and ask them for a cable to connect your phone to the laptop, but first make sure you have data subscription enabled on your cell phone (just call your provider and ask if you are unsure)

Best regards,

Danish30

>but first make sure you have data subscription enabled on your cell phone

Yes, this is important. Some Thai service providers (like AIS One2Call and I'm sure other prepaid accounts like DPROMPT) don't allow data subscription so there isn't any way your modem is going to work unless you get another phone # on a post paid account. Even then you've got to tell them to switch the darn connection on. Same applies to GPRS.

Cheers,

>Some Thai service providers (like AIS One2Call and I'm

>sure other prepaid accounts like DPROMPT) don't allow

>data subscription.

I have a DPROMPT card in my Nokia Communicator and I can connect to my ISP (I have a GRIC roaming account that allows me to use loxinfo & inet in Thailand) without problems so it seems DPROMPT does support data. I haven't tried faxing, tho...

Another useful tip for those who use AIS as a mobile GSM provider:

You don't need an account with an ISP. You can connect to a free (well there's probably some hidden charge) number by dialing 900-937. You don't need to supply a login name or password. I've been using this for years when in Thailand. It's very convenient. Contact support@cscoms.com for more info).

Regards,

Xenna

I am making slow progress but its still heavy going. I have a cable which I understand one connects to the comm port. Question? What happened to the modem? How does the lap top talk to the cell network?

Next I have enabled my account which is with AIS and assume I can get onto the net (not had the courage to try) but their Cust Services want me to use their service through CS which does not support email.

They are also encouraging me to use WAP??? which I assume is a means of using the cell phone to read and display mail which is the last thing I want to do.

Do I have any other options through AIS? Can anyone recommend a cell phone service provider who can provide an alternative service which is simple to access and use.

What do you do about mail? I have an AIS account and want to use the cell download mail to my laptop but this is not possible with the service through AIS/CS

They want me to use WAP which terrifies me.

Archived