Worlds Population Expected To Reach 7 Billion By End Of October

The_Munchmaster

I turned 50 about 10 days ago (17 October 1961). When I was born I was the *3,112,116,835th person alive on earth.

If I was born on the same day 50 years earlier (17 October 1911) I would have been the *1,763,855,248th person alive on earth.

If I had been born on 17 October 2011 (50 years later) I would have been the *6,994,348,535th person alive on earth.

So in the 50 years from 17/10/1911 to 17/10/1961 the world population increased by 76% and in the 50 years from 17/10/1961 to 17/10/2011 the world population increased by 125%. So what will the world population be 50 years from now, on 17 October 2061? And where are they all going to live and how are they going to be fed? :dunno:

*Obviously all these figures are approximations and come from this site BBC

From the BBC

Indian baby picked as world's seven billionth person

A baby born in India has been declared the world's seven billionth person by child rights group Plan International.

Baby Nargis was born at 07:25 local time (01:55GMT) in Mall village in India's Uttar Pradesh state.

_56378587_dsc_0126.jpg

Plan International says Nargis has been chosen symbolically as it is not possible to know where exactly the seven billionth baby is born.

The United Nations estimated that on Monday 31 October, the world's population would reach seven billion.

Earlier on Monday, the Philippines also declared a symbolic seven billionth baby, a girl born in a Manila hospital.

Every minute, 51 babies are born in India, 11 of them in the most populous state, Uttar Pradesh.

Nargis was born to Vinita and Ajay Kumar on Monday morning in a small government-run hospital in Mall village, nearly 50km (31 miles) from the state capital, Lucknow, a Plan International official told the BBC.

The daughter of a poor farmer, Nargis was chosen as the seventh billion baby to focus attention on the ills of female foeticide and India's skewed sex ratio, the organisation said.

Hundreds of thousands of female foetuses are aborted in India every year, even though sex-selective terminations and the use of ultrasound technology for foetal sex-determination are illegal there.

Photos of baby Nargis were shown at a function attended by nearly 250 villagers at the hospital, the BBC's Ram Dutt Tripathi reports from Mall.

Health officials presented the birth certificate to her father at the event.

"We were praying all along for a daughter," Ajay Kumar said. "She is Lakshmi [Hindu goddess of wealth], she will bring us good luck," he said.

A street play staged at the event on the importance of the girl child saw many moist eyes among the audiences, our correspondent says.

the war in iraq is over,but maybe a new one about to start.. :closemouth:

india and the phillipines claim the honour of the 7th billion baby born,which of course is nonsense as no-one knows for sure.

now the americans are at a loose end with a (war)finished will they decide to support their allies in the pacific and declare war over this important question........ :confused:

Archived