Decommissioning Hens

Hamokhamok

In an article in the Bangkok Post about the Thai Govt reins in prices of flood-related products

However the following was said re chickens:

[start of quote] The layer chicken farm association on Monday said Thailand is not facing an egg shortage, despite reports to the contrary. The floods had damaged only about five per cent of layer farms

Association chairman Manot Chutabtim said the current situation only “looks like a shortage†because people panicked by the flood alerts had been stockpiling eggs.

Domestic layer farms, with a capacity to produce between 28 and 29 million eggs daily, were encountering only limited problems.

Hens had died on only a few farms, but some producers had rushed to “decommission†some of their hens to limit damages.

Eggs are presently priced about three baht each. [end of quote]

The question is how do you decommission a hen??????????? And is it painful ????????????

I don't think it is as much about hoarding as not being able to get them to the Bangkok markets. I saw eggs selling for about 5.5 baht today. The owner of my favourite restaurant told me he'd had to pay 10 baht a piece on Friday. The big Bangkok wholesale market in the north of the city has been flooded out.

Archived