From Paradise To Hell In 48 Hours

bust

After spending 6 weeks in LOS most with my partner in crime from an establishment that will remain anonymous, overstaying my visa 10 days (no dramas just pay the fine) I headed back to Port Moresby via Manila. Manila was fun got an invite to the Rougues xmas party which was fun especially the 65 peso Sam Miguels all night. Arrive in Port Moresby and the first night I am there a guy dies from having his head caved in by a rock in the carpark outside my room. Welcome to Papua New Guinea. The place is really starting to scare me. Back in Sydney now for xmas and re-assessing whether I will return. The money is good but I am beginning to think it just ain't worth the risk. These people are primitive to say the least.

So the question is have you ever feared for your safety in a foreign country and why?

As an expat or tourist not in active service........Flash :rolleyes:

This pic of an average day in Lae where I was based. Tribal issues the driver was dragged from bus and beaten to death.

post-6949-0-82723700-1324947112.jpg

the money is good in Papa New Guinea? don't they use sea shells as currency? so how many sea shells cost a beer and a bird there?

The average hourly wage is 2 kina an hour a beer sells for 8-10 kina. Expats earn up to $1000 AU a day. They deal in betel nut not shells :rolleyes:

It's an attractive look....especially when the women chew.

post-6949-0-74261600-1324953282.jpg

the money is good in Papa New Guinea? don't they use sea shells as currency? so how many sea shells cost a beer and a bird there?

The currency is Kina, not exactly trashing US$ and EUR (as Thai Baht does) but holding well and convertible.

The beer is SP (South Pacific), I still believe the best beer I have ever drank. A know-how from Heineken i guess, who were the first to establish a brewery in PNG in colonial days.

As for birds, it's as dangerous as Botswana (where AIDS reduces average life expectancy to 38 years).

Back in 1995. I lived and worked in PNG (Port Moresby) for a year, security situation was bad. Repeatedly I am hearing it has been deteriorating even further.

The Brown Bottle is actually not a bad drop and I prefer it to the SP Export which has won numerous international awards. SP Brewery run the Brew Kettle a social club (invite only) which has a free piss up every friday. Was lucky enough to get invited a few times. Good afternoon.

The thing I found most disturbing was the number of people just wondering the streets with a big bush knife. The locals weapon of choice and they don't hesitate in using them. Guy got caught stealing from a stall holder a few months ago in the main markets and they simply held him down and hacked his arm off and left him there. I hear he bled to death and nobody blinked an eye.

Archived