Car Rental And Licence Rules

Guest baldrick

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:tophat:

interesting thread.

i personally would'nt drive around Phuket like LP does... :shakehead

even walking on the pavement is dangerous.

i like the taxi hire for around 7 hours which costs me around 1500bt for that time.

i can go where i ask and a nice relaxing day,but i do pay for petrol and food along the way.

but as a side story i've always been intrigued by some of my ladies hiring a motorbike for a day or more.

it never seemed a problem they had no any sort of licence and the bike was handed over.

but very useful as i have travelled all over the Island on a bike for less than 200bt a day.

but kudos for LP to brave the mad drivers and do what he wants while in a car.... :applause:

Guest lazyphil

interesting thread.

i personally would'nt drive around Phuket like LP does... :shakehead

even walking on the pavement is dangerous.

i like the taxi hire for around 7 hours which costs me around 1500bt for that time.

i can go where i ask and a nice relaxing day,but i do pay for petrol and food along the way.

but as a side story i've always been intrigued by some of my ladies hiring a motorbike for a day or more.

it never seemed a problem they had no any sort of licence and the bike was handed over.

but very useful as i have travelled all over the Island on a bike for less than 200bt a day.

but kudos for LP to brave the mad drivers and do what he wants while in a car.... :applause:

you feel safer riding a bike in thailand than a tough pickup truck?!!!

you feel safer riding a bike in thailand than a tough pickup truck?!!!

i admit i'm taking my life in my hands getting on the back of a bike.

but i trust the person driving the thing as they are more used to driving around the area then i am.

even being in a 'tough pickup truck' is no guarantee of safety.

You have to go far upcountry to find road signs not in English these days. There can be a problem with temporary construction signs pointing out detours, but overall, in some 10 years, not being able to read Thai has never been a problem driving in Thailand.

Driving in Bangkok is only a problem if you don't know where you are going. Miss a turn and it can take a long time to get back to the same place to try again. Once you learn your way around the expressways and the side streets you need to use, it is not a problem and safer than out in the country as the speeds are much lower.

TH

I would differentiate between residents and people, who visit the county occasionally! For anybody living outside Bangkok, Pattaya or certain areas of Phuket, having a car and driving is a need as you do not get anywhere with public transportation and taxis are usually not available.

for all occasional visitors I would not recommend to drive as cars with drivers are cheap and driving in Thailand still needs some flexibility to adapt do different driving styles than back home

"You have to go far upcountry to find road signs not in English these days"

that is true for main roads nowadays, but not if you want to get to places off the main roads

Guest lazyphil

i admit i'm taking my life in my hands getting on the back of a bike.

but i trust the person driving the thing as they are more used to driving around the area then i am.

even being in a 'tough pickup truck' is no guarantee of safety.

of course its not, i dont want to speak to soon and have this come back to haunt me but driving in los ime isn't such a big deal, it is easier perhaps for brits kiwis and aussies in that we drive on the left....thais are pretty well mannered drivers by and large. i rid a bicycle in the uk all the time and i've been knocked of twice recently thru dumbfrux, got a few nasty cuts and nothing else by the grace of buddha

Thai driving style has greatly changed over the years.

I drive the BKK expressways almost daily and I see the road rage, the idiots flying

down the shoulder of the highway, the nimrods constantly switching lanes...all the jai dee and jai yen yen...not when these dipsticks are behind the wheel!

...not to mention tailgating, jamming in front of you if you leave 1mm gap between your car and the car ahead of you...TIT :dunno:

Guest lazyphil

Thai driving style has greatly changed over the years.

I drive the BKK expressways almost daily and I see the road rage, the idiots flying

down the shoulder of the highway, the nimrods constantly switching lanes...all the jai dee and jai yen yen...not when these dipsticks are behind the wheel!

...not to mention tailgating, jamming in front of you if you leave 1mm gap between your car and the car ahead of you...TIT :dunno:

all happens in the uk, often.

Archived