Car Rental And Licence Rules

Guest baldrick

Guest lazyphil

been renting/driving cars in los carefree in the past but wonder if just having a uk licnce enough?....do you need a international licence or is a uk licence that too?.....fecked if i know....just dont want a prang next time round and the insurance is void!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

I used to get mine from the AA office in Edinburgh, but that was a long time ago.

Check the AA website (see link below): you can apply by post, at selected Post Offices and at AA port travel shops.

AA

cheers. whats the reason for needing it?

ok thanks mekong i was hoping u read this. how do i get one?

You can go ahead and get one, it is a painless exercise, but the rental agency won't even look at it, nor will an insurance adjustor if you do have an accident.

All the major car rental agencies only require a license in English.

Drivers License

The insurance terms and conditions say nothing about an IDP required for insurance claims.

Insurance

I imagine that if the major agencies were not requiring a IDP to rent and then their insurance companies were refusing to pay in case of a claim it would have come to light by now.

TH

cheers. whats the reason for needing it?

To drive overseas?!

As the AA (Automobile Association) says, "Recognised internationally, an IDP normally allows the holder to drive a private motor vehicle when accompanied by a valid UK driving licence."

They also list Thailand as one of the countries that requires an IDP.

So best just to get it, whether it turns out you need it or not.

To drive overseas?!

As the AA (Automobile Association) says, "Recognised internationally, an IDP normally allows the holder to drive a private motor vehicle when accompanied by a valid UK driving licence."

They also list Thailand as one of the countries that requires an IDP.

So best just to get it, whether it turns out you need it or not.

Absolutely correct, however I know some guys driving around with a national drivers licenses and it's often accepted (especially if they're in english - a swedish one for example is - and if you can see if it's for car or mc or both as thais have diffent DLs for those - same in Sweden BTW, on the backside of mine you can see symbols of a car and a mc. Shit 4 weeks more I've had it for 41 years. :grinyes: ). In case of an accident of course you need an IDP else you have big problem with police and insurance is not valid). I know some guys who drive around with just an IDP - after losing their national DL - not legal. This is for tourists.

If you're an expat you need a thai DL, can be fixed easily, perhaps just parking a car and sometimes even they just let you identify green and red lights.

:beer:

Archived