Bts Versus John Behan

ThaiHome

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sydney doesn't sound like the friendly little city I remember from years ago. :shocked:

You know the story - no matter how nice the maze or how happy the original rat population, add enough rats and eventually you will have problems. Its a vicious cycle - the majority of the jobs are in 3 cities on the Eastern Seaboard, and everyone seems attracted to those cities like moths to a flame. They've talked about 'incentives' to lure new arrivals and longterm unemployed to places like the Pilbara, but its a pipedream. Suits in Canberra like to fantasize about the 50s, when men got off the boats ready to do anything, and I mean anything, for a wage - they ccnveniently forget that there were no rules around workplace safety and that 121 workers died building the Snowy Mountains Hydro-Electric 'miracle'.

In short, I'd be very surprised if the Sydney of 2012 resembles the Sydney of your recollection. It had its share of problems when I left in 85, but the last time I went back the CBD looked more like Singapore than Sydney, if Singapore had more Indians and Lebanese. Imagine getting onto the Skytrain and being surrounded by Farang - disconcerting, to say the least.

All I have to do is compare the Bangkok of the 1970s and '80s with the megalopolis of today. Bangkok wasn't more than 3 million when I got here. Now there are an estimated 12 million people, maybe more. That was the total population of Oz for decades! :shocked:

The "ethnics" when I was in Sydney were Greeks or Italians. The Greeks drove the taxis or owned restaurants. The Italians all seemed to be decorators. :hmmm:

Thailand's populations has increased 50% since I've been here. (No, I am not responsible for that.)

I posed the question a couple of years back - outside of BKK, the size of each city/town drops off sharply, but there are just so many towns with >10,000 people. Rounding up the numbers I've seen (Wikipedia - happy to get links to better sources), Chiang Mai has 2 million people and Chiang Rai no more than 500,000 - both easily dwarfed by our second and third biggest cities - Melbourne and Brisbane - but we just don't have as many provincial capitals in our 22-million total.

If you came back today, I think you'd find that most Greeks and Italians in Sydney/Melbourne are doing a lot better financially than they were on your last visit. Plenty of media reports of queues outside the Australian Embassy in Athens, and Greek Australians coming back to Oz with a newfound appreciation for what they have here.

Archived