Girl Astounded By Beautiful Feet

panadolsandwich

I always get a manicure / pedicure when in Thailand. You get to chat to the lovely ladies and size up your chances. I couldn't care less about the beauty side of it but the girls *do* seem to care about it - and it's such a derisory cost or inconvenience that I get it done.

Anyhow I walked into a Phnom Phen convienience store once and this very pretty girl (maybe 20 or 21) at the counter was astounded by my feet (I was wearing thongs or flip-flops for you sherman tanks that may read this), she just pointed and said 'Saa-aat' which means how beautiful. I looked to my feet then hers. Mine were meticulously clean, pedicured and very white - almost glistening white. Hers were very dark brown and scarred from what I can only imagine, and perhaps although they were clean as mine they looked very dirty. I'd never seen my feet in that context and it has stayed with me as an allegory that people don't necessarily see beauty in the same places that you and I do.

I gathered my purchases, thanked my now suspected foot fetish friend and tipped her a little extra, gave her a wink for good measure and when I tilted the glass framed door to leave the store I hesitated a moment and had the odd thought - she's fucking hot and almost certainly not on the game, I could just fuck her right now based on her love of my beautiful feet... Then the spectre of her scarred feet arose in my mind - and I, despite the monsoon rain, I purposely walked on, musing perhaps we're not so different after all and sipping thoughtfully on a beer.

That in itself is a fine short short story. Hemingway wrote one he claimed was a "short story" that consisted of exactly six words.

p.s. In California and Hawaii, we used the Japanese term - zori. I never heard of flip-flops until I came to Thailand.

Thanks Flashy as always. Maybe flip-flops are just a conspiracy? I hope one of Hemingway's six words wasn't 'whom'. That may be a forlorn hope...sigh... such a wretched word. But still I do read Diderot's Le neveu de Rameau from time to time - which might explain the basis of my philosophy - lol... or perhaps my beautifully astounding feet, natch.

Archived