bar girl that is not a prostitute

Anybody seen this before?

I met a girl in Pattaya a few weeks ago. The first day we just chatted for 1/2 hour or so about all matter of things, which is highly unusual for a bar girl. Usually the level of converstaion to be had with bar girls is pretty basic. English not too good, but she understands how to speak Thai so that a farang who speaks Thai can understand easily. (Unlike most bar girls who assume if you speak a little Thai they can speak rapid fire with a heavily accent and you will understand everything) As asked if I could pay her bar fine. She said no, but come back tomorrow. I figured she was on her period.

So next day I go back, we chat for another 1/2 hour or so and I start to learn a little of her 'story'. Finished high school, and even had a year of accounting school under her belt, which she was unable to finish due to, of course, money problems. Had been working three weeks. No kids. Again I asked to pay her bar fine. She said no again.

I was miffed a little bit, but she is really cute, and not at all your typical farm girl from Issan (though she is from koen kaen), and a pleasure to be with, so I did go back a few days later. She seemed very pleased to see me. Again, nice conversation, she's a real charmer. After finishing a few drinks I wanted to pay my bill and get something to eat. I ask if she want to come with me. No. But she says come back if I want, she has a long story to tell me. I go eat, figure what the hell and go back to hear her story. We end up talking over an hour. In paying for her education she managed to run up over 100,000 baht in private debts. One of her lenders seems to be of the worst kind, and had made threats against her. Fearing for her life and wanting to fix her money problems, she decided to come to Pattaya. She was not sure she could sell her body, but though maybe she could find some nice, and of course rich, farang boyfriend and 'take responsibility' In her first week she went with a guy was pissed as hell that she would not put out and broke a glass table. She almost lost her job, and was quite shaken by the event. She had declined to go with anyone since then. She refused me because she did not think she could be a prostitute, and that I would be dissapointed. If sex happens on it's own because we like eachother then that is OK, she said, but she does not want to have sex it the relationship is just short term. She is only interested in a farang interested in a long term relationship.

Amused, but somewhat intrigued, I left Pattaya, and we have continued our relationship by email emailing almost everyday. Absolutely none of the typical sex worker BS. Lots of talk about love and relationships, family, life in Thailand, etc. Just like I'm emailing some regular girl, checking eachother out. She really is sweet, cute, and intelligent, but her self admitted motivation kind of ruins it. At least she's upfront. She left her bar when they refused to pay her salary at the end of April (f*cking assholes). She took a job at another bar that had accomodation upstairs, but she is thinking this life is not for her, and really wants me to come see her. (hmm... can't imagine why)

Anybody else encountered this type of situation in the bar scene? I know it happens elsewhere, but as I told her, Pattaya is an awfully strange place to find it, it seems to me...

over the past 6 years i've come across probably 6 or 7 BB girls that cannot be barfined -often they are young pretty ones that would do very well if they were willing to put out

often they look after the till at the BB's but not always - i think most of them are (like your girl) looking for a long-term relationship with a decent financed farang

i think that a lot of them achieve their goal too as the ones i've returned to years later have always ben snapped up, married and taken off to US, UK or Germany

i can see the attraction for the guys - pretty sweet young thing that is relatively untouched (not for me though)

In "my experience" I have been with only a few Thai BGs that were prostitutes in the American sense.

On previous trips I have always ended up with a LTer, from 3 - 4 days to 9 weeks.

These experiences were nothing like prostitution in the American sense. I paid them for a service that was so much more than sex.

My last trip I had business to do & a professional lady associated with my biz was picking me up most mornings & biz was keeping me busy during the day. ( Taking a tax deduction for the trip was nice, but it completely changed my perspective of Thailand )

+ Many appointments were scheduled by her in my hotel lobby with her acting as translator & coordinator. After meeting we would often spend several hours reviewing proposals & options. She felt it was easier for Thai vendors to travel to us, than we go to them.

She would often be around from 9:30 AM til 10 PM, & when she wasn't there she had me scheduled out. Quite efficient I must say!

& no sanuk although I tried! & tried & tried! Probably my shortcomings that resulted in no sanuk, but thats another story!

I took her shopping the last Sunday I was there. Nice shoes & a leather back pack. Once she agreed on the shopping she was pretty set on highest quality merchandise. :-o

+ gave her a 13.5K bt tip, $300. ( 17 days of hard work ) over our agreed upon fee, I "almost" had to fight with her to get her to accept.

Anyway..

So I was all but sneaking out in the evening for a ST at Soi Cowboy.

The 3 or 4 time per night STers on Soi Cowboy are pretty much prostitutes in any use of the term.

But the LT GF BGs are so different from American Whores that the term prostitute seems inappropriate.

IMHO

Nothing unusual, if you hang around Pattaya a long time. Big enough a city to have any diversity of experiences and people.

Many people go there because, there are all kind of opportunities, the place is not too cut-throat (no brothel-owner type who ties you to a bed), you can see if you like working the nightlife or not. I can think of many girls who come, do not like it and go back. If cute enough, they indeed may meet a guy before they go back home, and their life can be changed. So, yes, many things can happen indirectly. I would not put too much importance on prostitute or not, she still has debts to pay, and she will not certainly pay her share of the rent, so what's the dif'? remember your last time with GF? be straight with her, this time about where you stand,OK? Thai women are not pets. Good luck, and send a pix.

true. there is more than one way to reach a goal. The smart, beautiful (in and out) ones who find themselves in Pattaya, usually do not stay long and as you say, get snapped up pretty fast. that's why when a guy speaks about marrying a girl who just worked for a few weeks, i tend to believe it.

I used to know cute and intelligent girl that worked in the bar that my friend owns in Chiangmai.She's not going with farangs,not drinking much,perfect English etc.I've lived there for month or so,we have relationship,learn her story well- poor existence,helping parents(for real),never ask me for money,and I met her friends also,working in the bar,but defenetly not bar girls.So not all bar workers is "bar-girls",and not all TG chasing Farang money.I wish it'll be more girls like this.

Keep in mind, Worldwalker, that while she might not be your typical bar girl, it is quite likely that she is going through the same process (email, possibly telephone and letters) with other men. She only has a limited time in which to accomplish her task, and waiting around for one particular Farang would be quite inefficient.

RickF

From what WW says, she is not too motivated by this line of work. Though there is a BG stereotype, not everyone fits it. I know girls who were smart enough to work in a bar for a couple months, make quite a bit of money, and go back to normal life as they could pay their debts. usually, these smart ones will find a decent man to marry a lot quicker than regular Bgs. a lot of decent farangs come to Pattaya, and when they meet someone "different", they prefer her to the rent-a-night type. Which is why i keep saying Pattaya is a great city, as it can offer very diverse experiences for discerning farangs. It pays not to always keep your brain in your pants.

Archived