I Need Help/advice

sayjann

when i get back from my next trip to LOS mid June i have to start looking for a job.

after working just about non-stop since 1976 i'm swallowing my pride and claiming benefit to keep a bit of cash coming in.

but the female i'm dealing with at the benefit office every 2 weeks is a real bitch and really giving me a hard time.

the problem is is that i have to apply for jobs on-line and in every application i fill out has to have a C.V. attached.

fair enough and i have looked at companies who help in compiling a C.V. and done what is needed.

problem is i cannot download them to a particular place on my laptop.

also i'm have had to pay and still i have no joy.

i can save the completed C.V. to desktop,my computer,favourites etc but cannot then send them as an attachment....i'm so frustrated.

i had the idea of sending the C.V. to my e-mail account and it seemed to work but has decided to deny me the chance of sending it on.

what am i doing wrong?..........

any ideas from you computer geeks of how to get a FREE C.V. and then put it somewhere on my hard-drive so i can easily access it and then send as an attachment?.

any help would be fully appreciated.... :up:

SJ, firstly bad luck on the title. As much as it pains me, I wanted United to win rather than city...noone likes a team who buys the title. :wink:

Anyhow, it would help if you could firstly tell me what Email system you are using, for example Hotmail, Gmail etc?

With regards to the file on your desktop, did you set it up as a short-cut ? What is the name of your cv ? Generally if it was created in Word format it would be something like Sayjan.Doc ?

I think the file is defintely on your computer and I suspect its the way you are using the Email system that is causing problems, could be wrong but a little more info will help me out.

Cheers.

sayjann - cf is right, it should be an easy thing to save a cv on a computer, and attach it to an email.

Assuming you are using "Word" (Microsoft) - after compiling the cv click (top left corner) File, and scroll down to "save as" - click on this. A pop up box will come up, prompting you where to save the file (eg my documents, desktop etc) and to give it a name (sayjanncv.doc)

Most email programs, even web based emails like hotmail or gmail will have an attach button somewhere... when compiling your email click on this (attach) and a similar pop up box willl arrive, here you click on where you saved the file (desktop, my documents), then double click on the file name.

Before you send the cv to a potential employer, email it to yourself so you can make sure the thing has worked, and then you will have a copy in your email inbox.

Hope this helps, if it doesn't, let us know what you are using (eg Microsoft, Apple, Word/Office, Hotmail, Gmail etc)

sayjann - cf is right, it should be an easy thing to save a cv on a computer, and attach it to an email.

Assuming you are using "Word" (Microsoft) - after compiling the cv click (top left corner) File, and scroll down to "save as" - click on this. A pop up box will come up, prompting you where to save the file (eg my documents, desktop etc) and to give it a name (sayjanncv.doc)

Most email programs, even web based emails like hotmail or gmail will have an attach button somewhere... when compiling your email click on this (attach) and a similar pop up box willl arrive, here you click on where you saved the file (desktop, my documents), then double click on the file name.

Before you send the cv to a potential employer, email it to yourself so you can make sure the thing has worked, and then you will have a copy in your email inbox.

Hope this helps, if it doesn't, let us know what you are using (eg Microsoft, Apple, Word/Office, Hotmail, Gmail etc)

thanks for the replies so far.... :up:

i'm using microsort and hotmail.

i did e-mail the C.V to myself and it worked but then suddenly disappered after a couple of days... :(

but at the moment i have slightly better news.

rang up about a job this morning and the person i spoke to is someone i happened to work with for 20 odd years and i'm due for an informal chat with another person who i worked with for 25 years next week.

i am not fully qualified for the job but as they say 'it's not what you know but who you know'.

i'm not expecting too much but the people concerned know me and what i am capable of.

and the chance to just put my case forward is good news.

i suppose i should'nt mention to the woman who i will be having a chat with had a reputation for alcohol and sexual exploits in her younger days?.

ok,i'm joking about the last couple of sentences but it is tempting.........

CV is more common in the UK than the US. However, it is the term more often used in Thailand.

<< i am not fully qualified for the job but as they say 'it's not what you know but who you know'. >>

I used to get so furious in the States when I'd be told, "Sorry, you are overqualified for the job." What that meant was they thought they could find someone less qualified who would do it for less money. :(

CV is more common in the UK than the US. However, it is the term more often used in Thailand.

<< i am not fully qualified for the job but as they say 'it's not what you know but who you know'. >>

I used to get so furious in the States when I'd be told, "Sorry, you are overqualified for the job." What that meant was they thought they could find someone less qualified who would do it for less money. :(

a bit of a nightmare this morning.

drove for the chat and left in plenty of time to find where i had to go.

i had directions but it was on a huge industrial estate and i got totally lost just driving around.

asked a few people and they had no idea and when i asked at the post office sorting depot they still had no idea,i thought they would know the address.....turned out the place was 50/60 yards from the depot.... :banghead:

after managing to get vague directions i arrived at a unit where their nameplate was very small and obscured by bushes,i had driven past it 3 times.

arrived 25 mins late and totally flustered but ushered in and given a coffee and a pile of forms to fill in.

i was still in a state and made a couple of mistakes and the boss just told me to calm down,take everything home/fill out everything in my own time while relaxed and come and see her tomorrow.

i will be more relaxed then and feeling better.

thw good news is that the forms i have to fill in are basically a C.V. so hopefully that will be good enough.

Onya sayj, sounds like it's int he bag.

Good Luck - I'd still attach a CV if you have one on you though, but going by your friend's reaction, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I can honestly say I've never been "over qualified" for anything in my life!

Archived