Tawan Daeng Praram III farang show

Palatkik

Tawan Daeng Praram III farang show?anyone know the back ground behind the long haired farang keyboard player at this place? I?m sure I?ve seen him on TV before, perhaps at the Asian games show held in Ramkamheang a few years back playing other percussion instruments in front of the King or was that some other guy? The other night at TD he looked a few too many beers over the limit to perform and didn?t really seem to add anything to what was otherwise a rather good show.

Cheers,

His name is Bruce Gaston and the band he has with the old Thai classical musicians is called Fongnam. When they are playing their own stuff, I think they make a great noise, a very interesting fusion of jazz and traditional Thai music. When they are just backing up the succession of singers, it's all a bit ordinary. The slapstick element they include doesn't wok for me either, but mst of the audience are Thai and probably enjoy a bit of clowning from the farang. I think he is one of the owners of this VERY successful business.

As far as I know, Bruce has been here for about 30 years, lecturing in music at one of the top universities and is regarded as one of the leading composers here, so, yes, you are probably right about where you saw him before. The band, who were formed in the mid-70s, are apparently the highest paid in the country, so someone just said on asfo.

His son, Teddy, is an extremely talented musician, and had the front page of the Bangkok Post Outlook devoted to him a few weeks ago.

LG

Thanks for the feedback LG. I do enjoy a good night at the Tawandeang when I can get a decent seat (not very often these days!). Good to hear the guy I was asking about is doin g so well. Will be back again in near future I am sure.

Cheers,

Archived