Thai wife can't own land if married to a farang?

Hi,

My girlfriends aunt is married to an American and living near SFO, she apereantly still has her Thai passport.

According to my girlfriend, the aunt could not buy a house in BKK for her mother but my girlfriends mother had to do it.

She told me that a thai woman married to a foreignern and/or living abroad could not buy real estate.

So I guess that adminstrative pratcises vary from region to region. They did however not conslut a lawyer despite my urging.

Regards

Strato

Kultida was a secretary at the joint U.S.-Thai command in Bangkok.

-----------------

Thsnk for bringing that point. I have seen too many posts on thai boards where it was assumed since she was a thai married to a foreigner, she had been a BG. GTG must have jumped mad.gif to the roof, if she ever read that

Guest lazyphil

<<GTG must have jumped to the roof, if she ever read that>>

God forbid this, I would miss her sweet charming ways!!

This is the correct answer. A Thai woman married to a farang should be able to buy land, but if the land office knows she is married to a farang, they will require the farang to disclaim any interest to the land in writing.

This, in theory, is what is supposed to happen. District land offices often act as if they are independant fiefdoms, and some simply refuse to follow the law. They do this in the name of Thai patriotism. They can, however, generally be persuaded to be less patriotic. Remember what Samuel Johnson said about partiotism, and that will provide you with a good assessment of the characters of Thai patriots and the type of persuasion required.

Incidentally, the new "law" that required this change is the Thai constitution, which requires that men and woman be treated equally. You can bet your last baht that Thai men won't tolerate a law that inhibits their right to own land. Hence, the change for Thai women married to farangs.

Archived